An Open Letter to EcoTech Marine

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 18, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

Have any of yall tried the Jebao's?

2. Click Here!

3. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

As much as I wanted to buy a rocking USA product, it wasn't financially feasible in my 30 tank.
    I went with koralias (now in my salt mixing buckets) and now Jebaos...

I hated to have to buy a product from overseas, there isn't any market between the MP and WP line...

Sincerely,

Jeabo owner.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014
  4. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Ecotech, please learn the spectrum that corals use.

5. 3lilbrats

3lilbrats Feather Duster

Matt you nailed it. I too call from time to time. Love their product and I think they need to do something with these pumps and nothing more to the lights. I know they are still working on the vortech section under ecotech live. I'll love to program my pump as I do my lights and have reef crest in the am and nutrient transport on the evening right before feeding.

6. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

I've had my Ecotech pumps for 3 years now and have kept them running well with just a vinegar bath every few months. Never have taken the wet side apart! I still would agree that it would be nice to see them easier to disassemble.

Completely agree with everything you said Matt. Especially about the noise issue.

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Maybe you could share with them what that actually is.;)
    When you figure it out let us know.;D

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Personally, not interested.

1 person likes this.
  10. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Ive been following the thread sicne it started the other day. I have 3 mp10wes and they are great pumps. The fact that I can have the cords OUTSIDE the tank and the small footprint is the biggest advantage when compared to other pumps by far.

As for the wetside I would like you to be able to take the propellor apart from the magnet and disk to clean under it. I push a little pipe brush udner to scrape after a vinager bath and am always afraid I will break the unit! As fort he cover design and twist off it doesnt matter to me, not much of an issue to remember which way to turn it you look turn and test in 5 seconds. I do a monthly 30min vinager soak so build up isnt an issue for me where they get stuck on.

The dry side is a little loud, I run mine at 50% and when up to their max power you can hear them. Much louder than the koralias I had but this is the tradeoff I guess for not having the motor sound dampened by the water. The first few months they seemd so loud in my living room I felt like I made a huge mistake but that seemed to subside. Not sure if ti was a "break-in" period where they got quieter in time or if I became used to it. I can only hear them now if everything is off in the house.

The last issue poitned out being the contoller is a litle bit of a hassle. I never know if Im in the right mode I want or not and always have to reference the manual. I never change mdoes because of them and do not utilize the pumps the way they could be used!! I am colorblind so telling if it is yellow or orange or green or blue ot purple is very difficult. Also orange vs whtie sync vs antisync, who can remember without referencing the manual? How hard woudl ti be to have a small LCD screen on them that wrote out reefcrest, master, slave, sync, etc etc?? At almsot $300 a pump after tax I think it is well within reason to expect this from echotech.

With a ll that said they are great pumps!! Trying the Jabeo knock off, not my thing still has the cord in the tank with stray voltage and heat transfer and if noone has noticed their history with other products has been less than steller. My koralias would go backwards or freeze up all the time drove me nuts! Yea some improvement need to be made but they are still abvoe everyoen else by a mile. The price is a bit crazy but when there is no other product to compete you can set the market for what you want and we obviously buy them so it is working. When it coems to flow nothing is more important so when I have thousands invested in corals and fish, is it worth it to skimp on the pumps??

The only thing not mentioned is they only provide one flow pattern. WOuld be nice if you could directthe flow where you want but that might not be doable with the magnet mount how it is. They claim you do not need to because of their design and the success of thousands of reefs using vortechs I guess backs up this claim.

11. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

To each their own.. But for for a quarter of the price I'll take the jebao. 360 degree angling with a lot of cool settings and I've had one for almost a year now with no issues. I think ecotech will lose a considerable amount of business bc of them.

12. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Seriously this thread is not comparing Jebaos to Vortechs. On a side note your Jebao WP pumps wouldnt even exist if it weren't for ecotech and tunze. Which is why a ton of reefers continue to support ecotech and tunze to keep great companies making new innovative products for our hobby. You can continue to throw your money at cheap knock off companies and if it does drive sales down for ecotech and tunze then we all lose in this hobby, we will lose the innovators of new technology. Has Jebao invented a single thing? or just stolen ideas and design from very successful companies that are revolutionizing our hobby.

Does Jebao even care about your reef? Cause Ecotech does which is why they made special battery backups to save your reef in the event of a power outage? This as saved my arse a few times.(sadly not the last 5 day power outage i had, but a solid product none the less).

Lastly if you want directional flow try using a sea swirl, greatest return pump nozzle that directs tons of flow over a 90 degree angle. That combined with my vortechs gives constant random directional flow.

1 person likes this.