Amyloodinium? Sad day

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by GeejEx, May 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GeejEx

GeejEx Skunk Shrimp

I lost my Flame Angel this morning. Yesterday at the morning feeding (10AM) he was fine with good color and eating, then last night as I was cleaning the intakes on the powerheads (around 10PM) I noticed that he had what I thought were bubbles or sand stuck to him. As I was stirring a lot of junk up I decided to wait a few hours and watch- I didn't see him again until 3AM (insomniac) when I found him sand surfing but still breathing, covered in white spots. I scooped him out and dropped him into a hypo bath @82F 1.010sg. Color faded out in patches, gills bright red. Needless to say it was too late; the two other fish are MIA.

Given how fast it nailed him I'm thinking amyl and not ich-

The only recent changes have been dosing phyto every other day the last three weeks and the addition of 6 blue leg hermits two weeks ago, everything has been going great, good params, good growth from the inverts normal feeding, etc. with the exception of a cyano bloom that I keep trying to vacuum up and a little GHA on the green stars.

Question 1) Should I go invert-only for a month or nuke the tank?
    2) Apart from not having formalin on hand, did I treat correctly?
    3) Is there some way to mitigate this in the future?

TIA

2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Im willing to bet the phyto is what caused an outbreak Amyloodinium. I had a similar situation last year or the year before with cyclopeeze. It was a total loss as a result. You overfed phyto like I did with cyclopeeze thus producing a lot of excess micro food that fed the dinoflagelettes. The dino's (Amyloodinium) went after your fish once the tank was overrun with them. Thats what happened to me.

5. GeejEx

GeejEx Skunk Shrimp

Interesting- and crap! You'd think the stuff would come with a warning!

1 person likes this.
  6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Im sorry for your loss GeejEx. Hey geek, how often where you dosing the phyto? I dose once every 3-4 days and keep the skimmer running. Luna

7. GeejEx

GeejEx Skunk Shrimp

I was dosing every other day with the suggested amount, then cut that in half when I started to get some diatoms on the sand. Left the skimmer running the whole time. I reduced the lighting period for a few days to try to get the cyano/dia under control.

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I never heard of phyto doing so much damage, was this "live" phyto?

10. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

since there was no answer luna, I'll say I use marine snow about every 5 days or so. I unplug my return pump and let the cls push it around for about an hour and then I turn the pump back on and let the skimmer have it. Works great for me as I have never even seen dyno