Amphipod population and the mandarin dragonette

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by cwjjets, Dec 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

well i know LR in the main tank but i meant in the fuge; cant you just have like sand? and maybe a decoration or something? I see some guy on youtube with a fuge that has rotifiers and pods with a giant skull in there and a red light, so thats why im saying maybe u dont need LR for the fuge

2. Click Here!

3. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

even a little base rock would work, or nothing but cheto they just need a place to hide from predtors IMO.

4. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

why wouldn't you want lr in a fuge? BIOFILTRATION! the more LR the better. and if you have the option to keep more lr in the fuge vs. the main dislpay then that will offer more swim room for your fish and inhabitants.

plus for the fuge you just need rubble. cheap like 2 bucks a lbs maybe less.

youtube is not usaully the best place to get confirmation that you can do what he/she did

5. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

i mean a fuge thats NOT in the sump area

6. NU-2reef

im sorry dude you are really testing my patience. im not sure what you are trying to figure out so.....:confused::confused::confused:

1 person likes this.
  7. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

I'm just saying if you have a fuge thats a different tank altogether just add sand; you dont really need LR, but you can also just add like a decoration or something.

8. Click Here!

9. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

I've purchased two different varieties, but what I buy most often is the tigger-pods (Tigriopus califoricus) from reef nutrition, about $19.00 per bottle at the LFS. The bottle is listed at 2-4K per bottle

there is another variety that's actually cultured up at UC Davis that seem to be much smaller and have also dosed the tank and my pod farm with those as well to get a variety.

10. NU-2reef

okay so what you want to do is to create a species only tank with pods??? and do feedings of phyto to keep them reproducing and thriving?
    then go for it.

11. NU-2reef

20 bucks a week on food:eek: whoa! thats not cheap. I read that tigger pods are palaegic but will withstand a wide range of salinity and temp but dont fare well as far as reproducing.

do you notice if yours reproduce after adding them? or is that why you buy a new bottle weekly?

12. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

Definitely not cheap but I know that this fish is in a smaller tank than he should be and with that I don't want to risk the fish starving. I have been trying to introduce him to cyclopeeze and mysid with little luck.

After I get some batteries for my flashlight ( 3 year old killed them) I'll do a night inspection to see what's crawling, I'm not seeing much during the day like I used to.

I'm hoping after my pod tank has a full month to go through a birth cycle that I can start pulling out of there instead of plunking down $20 per week to feed him, that being said I kind of knew the potential cost when I got the fish so I swallow hard and hand over my bank card every week :lol:

1 person likes this.