Ammonia

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Callahan, Mar 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Callahan

Callahan Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hey everyone! Quick couple of questions. I have a little 20gal freshwater tank and I got some test strips for the water from petco. I'm noticing most everything is good except the water is very hard and there is ammonia present. So I went and got some ammo-lock from petco and have used it three times, still ammonia. Granted the ammonia level has dropped a little, its still harmful. My question is, are there any other (maybe more efficient) ways of getting the ammonia out? Also, are the test strips I bought good quality? How do I soften the water? Any finally do any of you know of any good moderately priced gravel vacuums? Sorry for the many questions I appreciate any and all help!!

Thanks alot guys,

-Ben

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

best way of getting rid of ammonia is paitence, your tank needs to gain bacteria to convert it to nitrites then to nitrates.nitrates are alot less toxic but it it stil get toxic if you have to much, and that is why you do water changes.
    do not add any more fish until you have no more nitrites or ammonia.
    for the next couple of weeks you will need to check the levels regularly and do water changes when they are high, i believe most test kits say when a level is unsafe
    i know nitrites are unsafe at .5ppm
    and nitrates at 60
    don't know about ammonia but its very toxic.

they sell water softner called exactly that.
    the test stripes i don't know if there good or not, you don't state the brand lol. but drop test kits usually are better.
    for gravel vac check your petco or petsmart. there like what 10 dollars i don't think you will get a cheaper one

1 person likes this.
  4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Ammonia is unsafe at any level present.
    But, before you do anything else, I would go and buy a quality liquid test kit. Strips are garbage, and I wouldn't trust them as far as I could toss them. Its highly likely you are getting a false reading.

1 person likes this.
  5. Callahan

Callahan Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks alot, great help i'll definitely get some new tests, and be more patient, thanks again!

-Ben