Unresolved Ammonia spike.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jdameli1, Oct 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

But it's a band aid the fish will appreciate.

If a tank shows ammonia, the fish should either be removed from the harmful ammonia or the ammonia should be rendered harmless by "blockers", IMO. I wouldn't leave a fish in any sort of ammonia. Ammonia exposure damages the gill filaments.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

No arguement there, I agree 100%.

With that said I think some people use it without fixing the source of the problem only to have it plague them again.

:)

And that is the exact reason I do not advocate the use of live fish for cycling.

4. Renee@LionfishLair

It seems like live fish cycling is becoming popular again.... what's up with that?!?

5. Corailline

Sure wish I knew.

No one would stick a tang into cycle their system, but a damsel seems ok. Still a fish and if you feel the need to cycle with additional ammonia use the solution not a fish.

Something I obviously feel strongly about.

Rant over!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  6. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

My tank is long past it's cycle, the one 72 has been set up at least 5 months, the the other probably 3 and the 46 my first has been up probably 7 months although that's fowlr. .... sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm slowly converting the one 72 to a reef hoping to house all types of coral not just softies like the other. I also no longer have a tang, after reading on here I thought it was unfair in my 72 and gave to a friend who has a 120. That was over 2 weeks ago though.. Not sure where that came up. I received some live rock from an established tank and using everyones advice here and just added it to the tank, tank was a little light on rock.... There must have been some die off I assume that caused this spike. The rock was left 12 hrs in a bucket with heater and airstone. Because it was transported Really late and could not get it in until the morning.

I only added the prime yesterday just incase, didn't want to stress the fish any, the new rock is the only change in this tank for well over a month.

I also don't believe in live cycling either, I have no experience with but it seems cruel.

7. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

Sorry read the tang part wrong... :p

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

Sorry... I got off track. I wasn't referring to your situation with the live cycling part.

10. Corailline

My sincere apologies as well, did not mean to hi-jack the thead.

:cry: