Ammonia Problem**NEED HELP**

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ThirstyDuck, Feb 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ThirstyDuck

ThirstyDuck Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I need help! My ammonia is high. It's been high for a few weeks now. Water changes don't seem to help. All other water parameters are ok. Not sure why it is so high. I'm not sure what I can do. I have a new Yellow Belly Hippo Tang comming tomorrow. I ordered it a long time ago. I need to adress this ASAP. I plan on doing a water change tomorrow morning, but like I said it doesn't seem to help.

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

First, take a deep breath. Now, ammonia doesn't just show up without any reason. Have you added any livestock recently? Did something die in the tank? What size tank, how many fish, how long has it been up for?

4. ThirstyDuck

It's been up in this tank for a few months now. It's a 90 gallon, I moved up a few months ago from a 55 gallon. I saved everything and moved it to new tank. I have three Tangs, one scooter, one four stripe damsel, one royal grommie, one green brittle star, two cleaner shrimp, around 30 blue leg crabs, and some snails. Hand full of corals. This new tang is my last fish I'm adding. Everything alive and looking good. Ammonia is at 0.4.

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

How much lr? It could be that you are over stocked and the bacteria can't keep up with the waste produced. 3 tangs produce a lot of waste.

6. ThirstyDuck

I have around 75lbs of LR.

7. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

You're pushing it with the 3 tangs for sure. You might consider tapping in a fuge with a deep sand base. and some live rock (and if you have nitrate problem as you deal with the ammonia some chaeto)

8. Click Here!

9. ThirstyDuck

I plan on it in the future. My budget will not allow it at this time. The new tank has put a dent in my pocket book. Work real slow right now no OT, so no play money.

10. djbonney138

djbonney138 Peppermint Shrimp

If the water changes aren't helping maybe it is your source water. I have left the lid on my bucket I mix my saltwater in and gone back to check a few days later and it smelled musty. I checked the ammonia and It was through the roof. Threw it out and started over. The frequent water changes shoule be bringing it down. What type of filtration?

11. ThirstyDuck

Wet/Dry filter. I have a RO/DI unit on it's way in the mail. For now I treat my tap water.

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

did you check your tap water?