Ammonia levels affected by copper??

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by billyboy2, Feb 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

The last 3 days i have had my fish out of my DT and in a recently setup QT. The QT is a 10G using a aquaclear30 with carb removed and a elite submersible filter with carbon removed and an airstone. In the 10G I have a foxface, mated perculas, and a damsel. I am treating for ich and velvet, using coppersafe by madrel, and maracyn-plus with it. all is going good so far but i am battling ammonia levels! for example last night just before bed i do a test; .50 ammonia. i do a 2.5G water change so 25% and go to bed. this morning i re-test at .50 - 1.00!! i feed just a pinch and it gets all gobbled up so no extra laying on the bottom, i have good circulation and aeration and still can't determine where i'm getting ammonia from. is the copper or maracyn throwing off my test results?? how can i control my ammonia levels with no carbon and no- bio filter established since its a new setup?? i belive my treatment is working but i'm going to kill the fish if i cant keep my ammonia in check!