Ammonia in Freshly mixed Saltwater!

Discussion in 'Salt' started by rllh20, Apr 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rllh20

rllh20 Guest

I let it run for 3 days, checking every 7-8 hrs.

2. Click Here!

3. god503

god503 Astrea Snail

Ammonia can be precipitated into crystals. If certain salt companies use evaporated sea water as part of there mix then yes slight ammonia would be present do to the fact what ever microorganisms are present in the water at the time of collection would die off as the company stores the sea water for processing.

4. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Instant Ocean Dow not start with evaporated sea water. It is 100% synthetic. Like others have stated the amount of ammonia is not much to worry about. Many of the best reef tanks in the world use Instant Ocean.

I think the only salt mix that may not have ammonia after being mixed try ESV due to its formulation. The question for the OP and others is if the cost justifies the concern?

5. god503

god503 Astrea Snail

I did not imply to a specific brand. And since when are ingridient labels are 100% truthful....

6. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

thats very disturbing....... ill test my red sea coral pro next time a do water change, though i have recently tested for ammonia and came out zero in my DT.

best of luck buddy. even if not at dangerous levels i do not see why i would want to add even a minimal amount of NH4 in my tank....

7. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

It shouldn't be disturbing. It should not be an issue as the level is not enough to be detrimental.