Am i ready for SPS?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Puffer Chick, Dec 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i do have kalkwasser mix already, i had bought it to kill some hitchhiking GSP but then i couldnt find the gsp when so i havent used it. Glad i can put this thing to use, i didnt know it was to supplement calcium

2. Click Here!

3. dreiling

dreiling Fire Shrimp

hey refugiums are really helpful, and I see one hob w skimmer on ebay for 70 dollars all the time. It could help out a ton

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i've been tossing around the idea of using those breeder tanks that go in the tank and possibly using that as a refugium. that way i wouldnt have to worry about buying a light because it will have my DT's light

5. dreiling

dreiling Fire Shrimp

if you mix your kalk with distilled white vinigar or however you spell it, it helps your skimmer work better and allows more of the calcium to mix with the water and increase your calcium level. Read up on the vinigar to make sure I suggested the right kind and why it works. I think it even helps your nitrate reducing bacteria grow.

6. dreiling

dreiling Fire Shrimp

24 hour light refugiums help balance PH level, produce O2 and if you use caulerpa which should be easy to find will keep them from going asexual and polluting your tank.
    I use ten dollar lights for mine
    ten dollars

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok i'll read up on this idea

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

lol ten dollar lights :eek: that's wayyy out of my price range there is no way i could ever afford TEN dollar lights! lol j/k

but that's not bad at all

10. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

I agree with amcarrig and steve on getting the test kits first and then getting your frags. Do you have a local reef club? When we first started, we got into a local reef club and have been able to pick up frags for 5 dollars and some have even just thrown in things for free.

11. StrainedSky

StrainedSky Spaghetti Worm

+1 Find a local reef club

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I would not mess with kalkwasser until I had a better understanding of how it works. Until you get a little more experience with SPS under your belt, I would just stick to "regular" calcium/alk/magnesium supplements.