Am I overfeeding ?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by 71sbeetle, Nov 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 71sbeetle

71sbeetle Fire Shrimp

Alright, for the last few weeks I have had some cyano pop up and now GHA ! Funny thing is the cyano started a day or two after I ordered my new bulbs (they were about 7-8 months old). I changed the bulbs teh day I got them, but it didn't seem to help with the cyano (I figured maybe it was because the bulbs were getting towards the end of their life).
    Anyway, from the start my nitrates have always been around 15-20 no matter what I tried. Recently they have been going up as high as 40 ! My phosphate results always shows 0 but I think in order to have GHA you need phosphate, so I decided to give the brightwell aquatics neo zeo system a try, since it claims to reduce nitrates and phosphates, well so far almost 6 weeks into it, nitrates are still around 15-20, phosphates still show 0, the cyano is still here (and most of it right in front of my Koralia 2 pumps so it is getting direct flow !) and the GHA is starting to grow in more and more places ....

So now I am wondering if maybe I am overfeeding ???

Here is what I feed:
    * 1mm pellets: about 5-7 small sprinkles a day (usually they eat everything and a few pellets fall all the way down and my Nassarius snails come right out)
    * 1 frozen silverside twice a week for my anemones (now it is split in 3 so I haven't fed yet since the mouth is not formed yet)
    * 2-3 frozen krills once a week broken up in tiny pieces for my frogspawn, anemone, brain corals, favia, fungia and shrimps (skunk cleaners and peppermints)
    * Rod's food (original) dime to penny size once every 3-4 days

The tank is a 65 gallon with about 110 pounds of LR, 80lbs of LS, 1 goldstripe maroon clown fish, 1 powder brown tang, 1 mandarin dragonet, 1 goldhead goby and 1 prawn orange stripe goby, 3 BTA (was 1 just split into 3) 8 emerald crabs, plenty of snails and blue leg hermits, SPS, LPS .....

2. Click Here!

3. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I think so. I have a 72 gal and I feed about a dime size piece to my tank every other day as well as a 2" x 2" piece of nori every 4 days. Once a week or every two weeks I feed my nems small piece of shrimp.

4. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

A couple other things.

1. I've noticed cyano pop up if my flow gets too low. You may need another powerhead.
    2. Consider stopping the pellets. They say dry food is loaded with phosphates.

5. get.grounded

get.grounded Feather Duster

yea id say lighten the feeding a bunch and your cyano will slowly go away, and those nitrates with decrease...thats pretty high. i feed every other day. and a nice tasty treat 2 times a week. cant hurt to try

6. Tbstr3

Tbstr3 Skunk Shrimp

i feed my 30G everyday and dont seem to have problems

7. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

i feed my 72 twice a day and spot feed all the corals once or twice a day no problem no algae , nothing

8. Click Here!

9. Tbstr3

Tbstr3 Skunk Shrimp

yea thats what i do and make sure eveyrthing is clean im obsessed and trust me the gf desnt like it

10. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

heh sounds like me , im constantly wiping things down and cleanin the glass and such lol >,<

11. 71sbeetle

71sbeetle Fire Shrimp

well I didn't get algae until 6-7 weeks ago, this tank has been running for 9 months now I think maybe a bit more, I moved a 12 gallon to a bigger home after the 12 gallon failed ;) but never had algae until recently. I use natural sea water for my water changes and for top off I use store bought RO water, seriously considering my own RO/DI unit (just don't know where to start and what to look for). My fishes only eat the pellets as far as I know (I don't see them eating anything else) you should see them swim like crazy when I get the pellets out !

12. 71sbeetle

71sbeetle Fire Shrimp

oh and for flow I have over 2300 gph of flow so about 35x you'd think that would be enough no ?