Urgent aluminium in saltwater tank

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by nanomania, Jan 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

Not all aluminum, certain alloys of aluminum. It states this on the first page of that article. We also have a lot of organics in our aquariums that are much more diluted in the ocean. In the article it talks about organics causing oxidation problems with aluminum. I personally would never used aluminum in or around my tank, I have way too much money tied up in it to contaminate it. But ultimately it's your tank and you can decide what you are comfortable putting in it.

2. Click Here!

3. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

And I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned that we use aluminum oxide to remove phosphates from our tanks. We do, we also use ferric oxide for this purpose, but would you put iron in your tank?

4. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

pic of tank

the aluminium wont be submerged. the aluminium im talking about is thin and easily bendable but at the same time it is firm so you can twist and bent and make what you want out of it. is there any other option? well since i read its bad, i dont wana take risk. here is the tank pic (the return is the smaller gap from where the return pump wire is coming out):

Attached Files:

5. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

Could you not just drill a hole in the acrylic of the tank itself and mount your float switch that way? If its the same style float switch I'm thinking of that is what I would do.

6. dunc101

dunc101 Flamingo Tongue

You could probably use some egg crate to create you a float switch holder and then use some PVC ends for the snail guard for the float switch. You would then tie the snail guard to the egg crate with some tie wraps.
    See the ATO in the pic below to see what I am referring to. The only difference is that you would use egg crate instead of the plastic. You can buy a whole sheet of egg crate for 11 bucks at HD or Lowes. I'm sure you will find tons of other uses for that egg crate in the future as well. It makes a great frag rack =).

AutoTopoff.com

7. nanomania

8. Click Here!

9. nanomania

liked these ideas.