Alum. foil in contact with water?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Todd_Sails, Mar 12, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

This is -Todd here,=

Yesterday, I thought it was a good idea to use alum. foil as a splash guard on the top edge of my ATS.
    Water runs by about 3/4" on eash side of each screen.

I'm able to 'bend' it around the pipe better than the saran wrap I was using.
    We don't have any black plastic lying around the house, our trash bags are white. (NOT a racial statement)
    I didn't try the white ones,
    but I figured the foil would work, and it does work much better than the plastic wrap.

So do you KNOW of any problems- with any kind of elements or chemisty this might cause?

Everything looks fine thus far.

TIA,
    Todd

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

May not be so good, Right,

I"m going to put the plastic in contact with the water, and the foil outside to help hold it.

Thanks

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I couldn't dig anything up with actual fact base, just speculation. Being that it's aluminum I'd say your making the right choice.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Hmmm, not so sure, Todd. After all, we use aluminum-based products, such as phosguard, to help with chemical filtration. Aluminum is also one of the minor trace elements in nsw which may or may not be included in synthetic salt mixes. JMO, but unless you can see oxidation in a short period, or obvious signs of irratation in your corals, I doubt it would hurt, especially with carbon filtration and/or routine water changes. :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    mdbostwick and DSC reef like this.
  6. dacianb

dacianb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I used some aluminium bars as light rails above my tank - in few months were completely corroded. I am using now anodized aluminium for same to keep corrosion out.
    Saltwater is a very aggressive media and unprotected aluminium is very unstable - I wouldnt use it.
    THere are so many plastic foils and sheets out there - much stable and non corrosive.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.