Alternative Food Source For Free

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by lunatik_69, Nov 12, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

mozzie larvae aye !!!! mmm8)

2. Click Here!

3. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

they sell it in big frozen slabs at the pet store.called blood worms.my fish don't care for it that much.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

We used to sell live larva yrs ago.. Problem is when feeding Live larva they will sometimes get out of being eaten or morph into adults while waiting to be eaten as food. They are the reason the common guppy and mollies where imported and was used in the swamps and cannels and ponds in the south to control the pest. Thats about the only thing I don' miss not living in the south beside the heat and humidity .. Up here in Yankee land they don't have either of those problems to deal with :)

5. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

wow never woulda thought that , only stay in the south what yankees blood dont taste as good as a dixie?:-X:)

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That's what I would do but I would put a cap with a hole cut in it on top of the cup to prevent anything but mosquitos from getting into it.

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Thank you for your suggestion Amcarring, please dont get me wrong, I understand what your saying. As for what tangster said about some larve not being eaten and making it to adulthood, Im not an expert on mosquitos, but I dont think mosquito larve can survive in salt water. Not to mention, I have twelve fish and the only one that doesnt eat the larve is the kole tang.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Tangster might be under the impression that you're feeding freshwater fish as most frozen mosquito larvae are sold to feed freshies :D

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

LMAO

11. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

"Mosquito Lagoon" is a huge tidal salt/brackish section out by Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Mosquitoes do very well there. I would think the flow of water in an aquarium would bother them more than salinity. Hell, sometimes I think they could breed in 'Clorox':eek: