Almost ready for that clam... I think

Discussion in 'Clams' started by calialien, Jun 4, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. calialien

calialien Astrea Snail

I think I'm ready anyway.... what do you guys think?
    (actually not getting the clam for atleast another month or two... or three... but heres what I have so far)
    I have a 40g tank, clams "bed" is about 6 inches from the surface of the water.
    2x96 CF lights, 1x70 14k MH lamp... thats about 6.5wpg I think
    clam "bed" (I think I'm saying that right) has 1/4-1/2 in of live sand on top of an almost flat rock (it dips down in the middle.... kinda like a bowl).
    I'm leaning towards a T.Crocea
    Honestly this is my first reef tank and I wouldnt even experiment with the idea of a clam if I didnt have my b/f and his family teaching me everything they know. His dad has kept just about everything in his tanks at one time or another (he currently has 8 tanks running totalling about 600gal, the largest being 180) I've been reading about Crocea for about 6 months now so I think I know what I'm doing.
    Temp usually stays around 78f. Mod water flow.
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Certainly sounds like your ready. I wish I had a nice show spot for a clam like you have made.

J

4. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

from what i have read the croceas are a bit demanding on light and you might want to try a purple or brownish maixma, or a dersa

5. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

Deresa and squamosa are the easiest to injure with debris (sand and whatnot). FYI, clams actually have gills that use oxygen like fish. These gills can get cut and maimed if you have a sandstorm (redecorating your LR and sand :p ).

Teardrop maximas are nice :) Squamasos are also nice. I personally like gigas clams, although they can outgrow the tank in a few years :(

If you do decide to get a crocea or maxima, I'd move a little bit of that sand (good idea to have some) but make sure they can reach the rock. They attatch their byssal threads and hold on for dear life :)

1 person likes this.
  6. calialien

calialien Astrea Snail

I actually placed all of the LR so that I would have a "shelf" to showcase the clam on ;D
    The LFS has a stock of flat rocks just for clam shelves.

As for moving the sand .... noted and will be done way before the clam gets here.
    reason for wanting the crocea is that it will remain small (I think 6-9 inches is max for that particular one if I remember right)

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Great advice given by MDeth but I wanted to add that croceas slowly burrow themselves into rock so you don't really need sand under it at all.

8. Click Here!

9. calialien

calialien Astrea Snail

It IS a newer tank. Set it up about three months ago with 30lbs of sand and 15lbs of LR.
    Let all of that cycle for a month and a half
    Added 10 more lbs of sand and 35 lbs of LR (I actually got really good rock from a buddy that broke down his tank, sold me 70 lbs of his LR for $100 ;D )

Cycled it some more and added a cleaning crew with some green puffers.
    Cycled it some more and removed the puffers and added a spotted Cardinalfish (George) a Tiger short spinned brittle star (Gizmo-lol... bright light... bright light! :laughing0 ) a emerald crab and two feather dusters, also put in a bottle of live copepods that I bought at the LFS.
    I'm testing all the alk, PH, nitrates, calcium, etc daily and they are all perfect.
    I'm still cycling it for another 2-3 weeks before adding anything else, and thats when I'm going to be putting in some corals and a Blackray Shrimp Goby and a Purple Firefish.
    After another 6-8 weeks is when I would be adding the clam ;D

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  10. calialien

calialien Astrea Snail

6.5 wpg wouldnt be enough for a Croceas? even if it is half way up in my tank? :confused:

11. SuperScro

SuperScro Flamingo Tongue

WPG is just a rule. Metal Halides can break that rule because of the light they put off. A possibility on the crocea i guess, but there are other clams just as good.

12. calialien

calialien Astrea Snail

Half of the lighting is from a Sunpod HQI 70w 14k MH
    16.5in fixture mounted right above the clam shelf.
    I was thinking about switching it out to a 10k... from what Ive read Croceas do better under 10k than 14k. (so do most of the other clams from my understanding)

Ive done as much possible reading on T.Crocea as I think any human could have done. I am feeling really confident about getting one! but of course all words of wisdom keep saying get a T.Derasa. (which I have not done any reading on!)
    I debated it for a week thou, I'm still hooked on the idea of a crocea.

Went to the LFS last week to window shop the variety of clams they had. (My b/f thought it was "cute" when he realized I was carring my stack of fish and invertebrates books around like they were the Holy Bibles of marine info. Laughed at me a bit until the guy at the LFS pulled out the same stack of books from behind the counter)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007