Almost all corals are dead

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Av8Bluewater, Apr 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

wow those kind of temps will do it. I had a lady come into the store the other day where I work and she couldn't figure out why all her sps bleached and died. She checked her thermometer, one of the glass tubes, and it was 12 degrees off. it said 81 but the tank was at 93. The little paper that the numbers were on had slid and it got way off.

2. Click Here!

3. mnm

mnm Astrea Snail

Sorry for your loss. It always scares me if my chiller went out of wack. I am always checking temps. I ended up getting a good deel on a backup chiller.

4. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

sorry. hard loss. all the luck to you. lesson learned about temp. sorry sorry sorry. hang in there.

5. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

Sorry to hear of your problem, I hope you can save most of it..

Good Luck, Larry

6. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

how did your tank get so hot?

7. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Hopefully all will work out for you. Sorry to hear this. I always enjoyed your pics and progress reports. K+ to keep you going. You've been a great help to me and my g/f. Cheers. I've always wondered about why people never buy the most expensive stuff when it comes to heating a tank. That's one of the single things that can nuke a tank in a day and it seems to be one of the cheapest items to get. Sorry to hear this as I know you never seem to cut corners when I read your comments and input. Sorry to see this happen to such a great reefer. GL with rebuilding. Can't wait to see what you come up with next. Just make sure you get the dead livestock out or your troubles with nitrates and ammonia won't subside for a while.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

uh ... well if you think the temp is 70 you are going to increase the heater up to 80.. or whatever temperature you want it to actually be. If the thermometer is off you will over shoot it.

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Update:
    Looks like some things may be able to recover although damaged.. I think the 2 cleaner shrimp did not make it as I can't find them. All the other fish are still alive.
    One positive thing I've noticed is all of the cyano is gone.

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

WOO HOO

That's something at least.

12. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Sorry for your coral loss. I use one of the professional probe thermometers in my tank. I calibrate it after every use. That was the first thing I read here that stuck in my head!!