Allow myself to introduce.......myself!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Twan013, Jan 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

oh yeah, i've definately done my fair share of studying these 2 pico aquariums.... it seems to me that the deco kit has a lid on it... but i could be wrong.. i've tried several forums asking if the deco kit had a lid... no luck... and i can't find any other picture of them, so i have no clue!

2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

I dont think they have lids :(

4. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

actually, i just found out! they do have lids! i was looking at another forum that has a section devoted to pico's (5 gallons and under), and one guy has a deco kit that looks great... and it does in fact have a lid (he had to dremel out a notch to fit around his heater cord) and i must say, his pico reef looks incredible!

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Set the tank and filtration up right and you won't have to change water all the time. Just make sure you dose what you are consuming out of the tank. That and don't have 25 fish in a 55 gal aquarium. ;D

6. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Oh, nvm, the pic i saw on google images had the lid taken off to fit an AC20 modded to refugium.......

7. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Here's a possible solution for wanting one at home. Call your LFS's and see if they have any companies or people around your area who do maintenance for a living. Have them take care of it, while you get the benefits. They can even schedule a time to come over when you are home.

8. Click Here!

9. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

But that takes the fun out of reefing........ Maybe a pico at work, and a maintained tank at home?

10. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

so yeah... here's what i'm thinking... about 1.5 lbs of rock initially, to help establish the bacteria and stuff... but here's where the good questions come in... i've heard that an "effective" picotope is one that has only one or 2 different kinds of corals in it... just various colors... so like, it would look cluttered if i had shrooms, ricordeas, zoas, leathers, xenia, acropora, open brains, etc. etc... i definately want some ric's, and zoas... could i possibly have one ric as a "centerpiece" coral that is surrounded by zoas of different colors, or should i add anything else? or go a different route? what is y'alls opinions on having every type of coral i can get my hands on?

11. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

why not throw a piece of xenia in there? it wouldnt be hard to groom and you could frag it for supplies :D

12. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

ahh, good idea on the xenia... from what i understand, they're super easy to propagate, and none of the LFS's around here have xenia... well, there's one, Aquarium Designs, in birminham, AL, but i can't remember how to get out there... but directly local, i might be able to convince one store to take frags for store credit... BUT, i don't know how i can get the frags home, and to the store quick enough before they die... as i said, i work an hour away from home, and by the time i get home, the store's already closed...

i can't believe no one has noticed my thread title... or at least commented about it... anybody know where it came from? lol