All the advice that I can get.

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by MattsReef, Jun 21, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Windy

Windy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

KMAxx

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

well you have to admit your intervention was rather senseless. there is no more need to cycle tanks with live fish today, doing so is a form of torture on its own. on top of things, as mentioned when you cycle with a fish (assuming you care about the life of the fish) you'll be chasing numbers with water changes this will increase your cycling period....

Piano10, cody3819 and DSC reef like this.
  4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Ignore windy, all he does is post pointless nonsense about his fry. This forum is for actually helping windy, in case you forgot. Just as helpful as ever there windy. Swiss, I agree with you, his own post contradicts his point. Nothing like welcoming a new 3reefer with windy drama

5. insanereefer420

insanereefer420 Fire Worm

Ohhhh you guys crack me up... welcome to the world of reefing. Dont let the bad times get you down. And enjoy your little piece paradise.

cody3819 and DSC reef like this.
  6. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

Welcome Matt to 3reef and also to this hobby. This is a very beautiful and captivating hobby! Take your time do things slowly and listen to advice, good advice. You will learn who to trust and who not to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSC reef likes this.
  7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Would you care to carry this out in PMs; so as not to make this all about you, but rather help the newcomer out?

Swisswiss and DSC reef like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Windy

Windy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

It seems that he made the mistake of cycling with live stock which is a no-no in your opinion. I in fact supported him in this so who is trying to help whom? You want to send me a personal message, go ahead.

10. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

well at least you're admitting its a mistake to cycle with live fish, that's a step forward. as it has been said, cycling with a live fish IS doable, but its an unnecessary sufferance for the fish if you "dont know what you are doing", as you said....if you DO know what you are doing then you are just increasing the cycling period and going through troublesome water changes and testing to make sure your animal isn't suffering.....

in my opinion (and that of the majority) its not the ideal way of cycling and can be rather cruel....

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    Lovemyreef2015, Piano10 and DSC reef like this.
  11. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Bad advice isn't helping anyone.

I do not think it makes sense to justify methods used to breed fish for profit to someone who is seeking advice within the hobby, which are two different entities.

Lovemyreef2015, Piano10 and DSC reef like this.
  12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Drama=Bad feelzzzzzzzzzzz.

Cycling with fish is antiquated, no need to make the fish suffer when other methods are equally as effective. Raising fry and cycling a reef tank are two entirely different subjects.

Damsels are cheap I know but there is not an endless supply of damsels.

Welcome Matt,

Please do not take any one post too seriously. All we can hope for is that you'll treat those animals that you are now responsible for humanly.
    Cycling with fish is still recommended by many hobbyist, but using those fish solely for the purpose of cycling makes those fish seem disposable and that just does not sit well with me......

Vinnyboombatz likes this.