All new fish

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by exoticsteve2001, Jul 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Just mentioning that you posted a link to a site that said essentially the same thing I did, at least in the second post.

The first post was where I mentioned that you had some notions that aren't quite correct when keeping saltwater fish.

As for the Catalina Goby, I think Incognito's right.

2. Click Here!

3. exoticsteve2001

exoticsteve2001 Feather Duster

you are more than welcome to check out my thread on the build of this setup so you can point out exactly what you feel I am doing wrong at this point.With all the research I have done and accommodations and planning I have made in the build I am still under max capacity.I know I will have to eventually find the vlamingi a new home being the only exception.

4. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

And no catalina goby... right? :)

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Well, I guess I'll mention it again:

You're overstocked (as the article you linked after I told you that mentioned, implying you may not have read it thoroughly). You are (or were; you didn't mention that your plans may have changed since getting the "it's a coldwater fish" info) considering a temperate fish for a tropical setup.

Assuming you properly QT'd (meaning, didn't treat without symptoms; that's bad, copper can cause renal failure and other ailments. also, you left the fish in for a full 8 weeks), you stocked too quickly, in 2 "bursts", which would have caused mini cycles. Assuming you QT'd for a shorter period, you didn't do the QT itself right, and either can still have ich or effects from the copper/formalin treatments.

6. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

you have too many fish in that sized tank. A Catalina Goby will tolerate water temperatures of 60-68 F (16-20 C).

7. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

4 tangs in a 106.. that is pushing the limit IMO. that said I had 3 in a 75. they did very well together, but can be quite messy. they were relatively small and stayed that way. I had a purple, a powder blue and a Tomini. other than that, im sure ll the others are fairly small. the only thing I would recommend is that you keep a close eye on all your params and monitor their health.

Overall, I would have to say you are right on the upper limit for your fishes. Dont add any more.

Also, I noticed you ahve a rabbitfish with those tangs. they do have to compete for food, so make sure you have plenty of veggies, skim very heavily and monitor your nitrates.

8. Click Here!

9. ChrisBs

ChrisBs Purple Spiny Lobster

10. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

IMO thats too much bioload for that sized tank... and yes i checked out your build thread.

11. brentt

brentt Astrea Snail

how does the copperband fair with everything?