All new fish

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by exoticsteve2001, Jul 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. exoticsteve2001

exoticsteve2001 Feather Duster

For everyone who took interest in my new fish threads awhile back.
    Things went bad trying to restock my 8ft tank.I was buying all my fish from one store and it turns out that they dont treat their incoming livestock....at all...So as they came in sick I would put them in my tank under the impression that they were healthy treated fish.they would die in 3 days or less.Needless to say when I found out I had to take the servivors out and treat them and leave my tank fallow for 8 weeks.and tried some of the reef safe junk meds.Not reef safe lost half my corals!!Any way.Now I quarantine everything........everything!!I only buy from stores that treat incoming livestock as well.so after 3.5 months of redoing everything and waiting for quarantine here is my new livestock list.

pair of snowflake clowns
    1 bluestar leopard wrasse(survivor of fish killing spree)
    1 yellow coris wrasse
    1 sixline wrasse
    1 cleaner wrasse
    2 firefish (survivors)
    1 purple firefish (survivor)
    1 helfrichi firefish
    1 vlamingi tang
    1 powder blue tang
    1 purple tang
    1 flamefin tomini tang
    1 rabbitfish blueline
    1 copperband butterfly
    Its so nice and relaxing to see these guys all getting along and doing their jobs and enjoying the reef I made for them.I so much regret the mistakes I made and miss the fish and corals I killed.I recommend to all who read this thread.Quarantine all your fish and corals!!!Do your research and go slow.

ps I went through about $1000 of fish and corals in a couple of months.It cost me $60 for a complete hospital quarantine tank setup and $5 for copper formalin complex and $12 for amquel+.So $77 could have saved all those fish and corals along with ALOT more patience.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

Are all of those fish in the 106 gallon tank?

4. exoticsteve2001

yes, I'm still way under the adult inch per gallon limit.

5. exoticsteve2001

I want to put in a replacement catalina goby for the one that died that I had for over a year and a couple of bangai cardinals and thats it.

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

That's a freshwater idea. Saltwater is more like an inch per 4 or 5 gallons. The salt in the water decreases the amount of oxygen that can be dissolved, and the vast majority of saltwater fish are aggressive at least towards other fish with similar body layouts (if not nearly anything in the tank), which means they need more room for territory than your average FW fish.

It also doesn't take into account that a 4" long fish excretes something like 16 times as much waste as a 1 inch fish. You have to consider that the fatter and taller the fish, the waste grows exponentially.

7. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

+1

yes, what he said. :)

8. Click Here!

9. exoticsteve2001

10. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I'll quote the bulleted points at the very beginning of the article for you, emphasis mine:

" * The dissolved oxygen level in the water of the aquarium is the biggest limiting factor. This is more important in saltwater tanks, where the high density of the water greatly reduces the amount of available oxygen.
    * The size of the nitrifying bacteria population in the biological filter determines how much toxic ammonia (fish waste) can be processed. If there are too many fish in an established aquarium, tests for ammonia or nitrite will be positive. The beneficial bacteria population for an established aquarium is adequate if there is no ammonia or nitrite present.
    * The types and sizes of filtration the aquarium is equipped with greatly influences the number of fish that can be kept. Using several filtration methods on the same aquarium that remove different forms of waste can increase the capacity of a fish tank, but one needs to remember that during long power outages, too many fish can be disastrous.
    * The number of territories (hiding places) that exist in an aquarium can limit the number of fish that can be kept. This is a factor that is usually ignored by uninformed aquarium owners. A clean tank with the best filtration available may only support a few fish, if they don’t have adequate cover. A properly decorated tank with plenty of hiding places and caves allows the fish to "feel at home," so they don’t fight and stress each other to the point of killing one another.
    * The behavior patterns and aggressiveness of various fish is also a factor that can limit how many fish can be kept together. Keeping fish together that are unevenly matched in aggressive tendencies usually leads to a tank with one or two very happy fish in it. "

Now, that last point is related to my point about conspecifics and other fish with similar body shapes. That tends to be one of the biggest determinants of aggressiveness between saltwater fish, rather than the blanket "aggressive", "semiaggessive" or "peaceful" label.

Here's another quote:

"The rule we use for saltwater is three inches of fish for every square foot of surface area. For example, a 55-Gallon aquarium (48" Long by 13" Wide) has approximately four square feet of surface area, so approximately twelve inches of fish can be kept in a 55-gallon aquarium. In saltwater, look for quality, not quantity! If you have a wet-dry filter or Berlin reservoir, you can technically count the square footage of the filter in your calculation of how many fish may be kept, but there is one drawback to doing so. If you have a long electrical power failure, your tank will be over-stocked, and the fish will run out of oxygen much sooner."

There's the stocking limitations, stated another way, just without care for the actual biomass of the fish.

11. exoticsteve2001

I feel you are telling me I'm doing something wrong here?

12. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Catalina Gobies are a cool water fish.