All fish dying, Need Help!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by 75galreef, Jul 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Ich is always in a system, you never get rid of it. When the fish are healthy, they will suppress it from showing. When they are stressed, that's when it shows up. Copper will kill off the visible manifestations of it, but it will not erradicate the problem. The best way to fight ich in your system is to get your fish as comfortable as possible. Keep temperatures stable, keep the SG stable, and feed them healthy foods. Putting them into a quarantine now will stress them out more. I would highly suggest feeding them foods soaked in garlic, selcon and vitamin C. Good luck with the ich, I know it can be a royal pain.

2. Click Here!

3. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I had ich once. My percula had a quick outbreak 24 hours after I got it. In about 1 day it was gone because I fed SUPER heavy with garlic and HUFAs

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

+1....fish usually develop ick as a result of stress. Feeding good quality foods, keeping water parems good, etc will allow the fish to fight off diseases themself. I feed all my fish garlic and selcon with their food. Garlic only encourages them to eat...contrary to what some believe it doesnt really do anythign to boost their immune system. Instead it encourages the fish to eat. Just like when we are sick we dont necessary want to eat. Garlic gets them to eat. Selcon and other HUFA (Higly Unsat fatty acids) helps keep their immunity up..makes up for what they are missing in prepared foods.

Personally I dont QT my fish. I think the stress of adding them to another system and then adding to DT is too much. Instead I make sure my fish are 1. eating..I make them feed them right there before I buy it, 2. healthy appearing...check to make sure fish is not skinny, no sores, etc. I will also ask the store to hold onto fish for me for a couple days to make sure they are healthy. Most stores (at least all the stores I go to) will hold fish for a couple days to keep an eye on them. That is why I have NEVER bought a fish online...I want to see it myself.

I also run UV on all my tanks. This will really help cut back on diseases.

5. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Unfortunately, you will get many opinions on this topic, as I did when I was having a similar problem. My own experience was that I was keeping the water quality very good, feeding nutritious foods soaked in Selcon, and I was still getting outbreaks of crypt (marine ich) and actually lost my flame angel to it (and hippo tang wasn't looking good).

I finally broke down and did the only thing that made sense to me of all the solutions I heard - quarantined all my fish, treated with cupramine for 3 weeks, and left my tank fallow for 8 weeks (not less). Theoretically this will completely eliminate ich from your system. Again, this is just my own opinion and others will disagree. But the garlic, vitamins, water quality and feeding just were not enough in my case to overcome the parasite breeding uncontrollably in my tank.

6. gunit68

gunit68 Plankton

salinity is way far off !and water changes make shure that your water is up to temp!!!!if your doing water changes and the temp is off buy alot your just makeing things ?well harder on all the fish

1 person likes this.
  7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

How big is this tank? I didn't see that posted anywhere. If the tank is too small, it will stress the fish (and weaken their immune systems).

Looks like you will have the SG checked by a refractometer (these are like 20 bucks on eBay - highly suggest you invest in one). Hopefully the SG is what you're thinking. Swings in this will cause fish to get sick (through the stress route). You want your water change (WC) water to match your tank water. So either add salt or water to the water change water to get the SG to match before doing the WC.

Also, if you're changing more than 5%, I would suggest heating the new water to match temp too. Cold water poured into the system is shocking.

Lastly, not sure how this applies in your case, but fresh made saltwater needs to sit for at least 24 hours before being used. So if this water is fresh made, you need to let it sit for a day.