all fish dying in one day?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by ness.xo, Nov 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ness.xo

ness.xo Plankton

well today my damselfish has died, my blue tang isnt moving and my clown fish is swimming vertically and not acting normal at all. all my corals are ok.
    i am new to this and it seems to be a lot harder than i thought it was going to be.

please help. i have no idea what i am dealing with.

thank youu

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

We'll need all the info you can share about your tank to help you better;).

4. ness.xo

ness.xo Plankton

i have a 14 gallon bio cube
    what else do you need to know?

5. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I will suggest that when you post and are asking for help or for ideas, please include all basic information. Basic information should include; all water parameters(Calcium,Magnes ium,Alkalinity,Ph and Nitrate and Phosphate levels) along with Temp. of your tank and Sg (specific gravity).Size of tank and complete set up meaning, filter type (sump, canister etc.), if you use a skimmer,lighting (what type and total output)plus what type of lighting are you using and what is your lighting schedule (how long a period are your actinic and daylights on) and if you have fish only with live rock and if you keep corals. Also how long the tank has been up. I know some of this is in your bio but many bios don't contain this info. How many times has someone posted and then there is this list of postings addressing the above. If you give the most info you can to give us a good profile, it will cut down on response time and mis-diagnosis or answers that don't fit and we will all benefit.

6. HSL0389

HSL0389 Astrea Snail

I've had these kind of problems recently too. Just let us know all the chem levels. Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia...Temps, Salinity...That sort of stuff...

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

What about water params? ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, sg, temp, ca, mg, dkh, po4? What type of biological and mechanical filtration? flow? how old the tank is? etc...

8. Click Here!

9. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

That blue tang in a 14 gallon biocube sets up a red flag already...yeah, like everyone else said!!! what yo params be at dawg!?

(sorry):(

10. ness.xo

ness.xo Plankton

wow.. ok so i am new to all of this i have no idea about all that stuff i usully just bring a water sample to the fish store and they tell me if its ok or not. how can i find these things out ?

i have only had my tank for 3 or 4 months so its very new
    i have live rock, crushed coral on the bottom, a seahorse, clown fish and a bunch of corals
    my tank is a bio cube so all the lights and filter came with it all built in. i was told i wouldnt need anything else.
    thanks for the help but i honestly have no idea what you guys are talkng about. how would i be able to find all these things out?

11. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

First of all, kudos for you getting into the hobby, but not to be a stickler or anything...i would of done a LOT more research before starting...a few things.

1) By doing your research, you would of known that having a seahorse comes with a lot of responsibility. They primarily should be in a species only tank.

2) If you had done research, you would know what everyone is talking about, especially pertaining to parameters. such as ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alk, temp and what have you. These are VERY important, not keeping such things in check only would lead to disaster.

Now, when you go to the LFS...do you know what they're checking when they test the water? and do you remember any numbers they told you?

12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

These are all the basic water parameters that you need to be testing for when you have a reef tank. If any one of the above listed parameters becomes too far off, it can cause a death of something. First thing, you need to get test gets that will test PH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium, magnesium, dkh (alkalinity), and phosphate. You should also get a decent thermometer for temp and a quality refractometer for measuring your specific gravity (SG), also known as salinity levels.
    If your LFS is the only one advising you, I would highly recommend buying a quality book or spending more time on forums. I took a look at your profile, and saw many poor choices in almost all of your tank pictures. As stated above, a hippo has no business being in a biocube 14. The smallest tank for one of those as a juvy would be a 40 or a 50 gallon. Also, a lot of the corals you have are not going to do well under the biocubes stock lighting. A sea horse thrown in that tank is also a very poor choice. Its also overstocked, etc. Dont get me wrong, I am not trying to come off as rude, so please dont take it that way. I made a lot of bad mistakes when I was new to this too, and fortunately stumbled across this forum. Unfortunately, a LOT of LFS's are only concerend with making money and will tell you whatever they will to get you to buy that one more fish or whatever it is your concidering.