All fish dead...

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by flcracker, Apr 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. flcracker

flcracker Astrea Snail

I looked up marine velvet and brooklynella and I remember some of the described symptoms. I did see the blenny and clown scratching themselves on rocks occasionally. The firefish and blenny also would sometimes spit back out their food. Don't know which of the two this points toward though.

2. Click Here!

3. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

when I added my first zoas is when all my fish died. It's possible that the zoas stung the fish and they weren't immune enough to the sting. I just added two clowns in my tank after the total loss and the first day one of them decided to swim into my candy cane coral and it stung him making him go into seizures and he died shortly after. The second one is alive and well still.

4. _alex_

_alex_ Feather Duster

Candy canes and zoas won't sting a clown. Mine swim in my open brain, Scoly and frogspawn. To me it sounds like over loaded 10 gal, had a ammonia spike that lead to fish death that then lead to a nitrate spike.

5. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

do you have a skimmer or a sump on your tank?
    how often do you do water change?

But it really sounds like a overload to me as well.

if it marine velvet or brooklynella, your coral will not be affected. But "IF" you do in fact have one of the two in your tank there is a lot more you have to do to eradicate it, then just water changes.

6. flcracker

flcracker Astrea Snail

I understand the tank might was a little overcrowded but I regularly changed the water, every week, and tested it. I never saw a ammonia spike, just the nitrates raised slightly. I only have a HOB filter that runs floss and activated carbon, which I rinse out ever week also. Also if this was the problem would have my corals been the first to show it?

If it was marine velvet of brooklynella, what else do i need to do to fix this?

7. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

Best way we can all help is by posting the following
    Ammonia
    NO3
    PO4
    nitrite
    PH
    alk

10 gallons is very hard to maintain and levels can go out of whack very fast.
    let me just insure we have this right:
    clownfish
    blenny
    firefish
    urchin

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Corals would not necessarily be affected by a high fish bioload. Also, did you add them all at once or slowly over time? The bacteria needs to build up to accommodate the fish. Unfortunately, I do think that was too many fish in a 10 gallon and if you added all at once or too quickly, that could have caused the demise. I've only had velvet one time (that I was sure of because it kills so quickly) and it was an overall graying of the fish....it happens fast, you see the color change, and they're gone - or least that was my experience. I'm not familiar brooklynella. I'm in agreement that you probably shouldn't purchase from that particular LFS in the future because what happened to you also happened to your friend......Others can chime in on how you eradicate the parasite from your tank if it was velvet or brook.

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

You had how many fish in a 10g? I guess more importantly, what lfs was that that sold you X many fish for a 10G?

I've got 11 fish, etc., in my 125.

Please stick around, discuss, etc.

Sorry for the losses.

11. flcracker

flcracker Astrea Snail

I do admit that there was too many fish and will not make that mistake again. I figured since they were all very small and added over the course of several months that it would be fine, oops.

1 person likes this.
  12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I added some good karma your way, that'll help too!
    It's the little scales icon under the screen name area.