All fish are sick Need Help

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by jkirven06, Sep 23, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jkirven06

jkirven06 Astrea Snail

I am liking the stray voltage idea I picked up a voltmeter to test voltage. & my grounding probe should arrive tomorrow as well. I also notice the BiColor blenny has gotten really pale so I am running the tank bare bones right now, just the skimmer and heater, in case it is stray voltage and still taking tests. I will definetly update when I locate the problem. Thanks again,

2. Click Here!

3. jkirven06

jkirven06 Astrea Snail

Okay so I am reading 2.5 alternating volts in the tank with the Powerheads on, 2.0 volts without them, and it drops as I unplug each piece of gear like lights, heater, skimmer. So my question is: Is 2.5 enough to bother the fish or is that a normal amount of voltage? I have heard that SOME voltage is normal. So I'm not sure if I should start pursuing other avenues at this point.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

gosh, I have no idea but here's a bump for your question!

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

You should not see any stray voltage in the tank.Unplug things and find out where its coming from.Turn it to 120 ac voltage and test it.

6. jkirven06

jkirven06 Astrea Snail

Yes it seems like everything in the tank adds up to make the 2.5, even the LED's. I did the unplugging just one thing doesn't make it go away. In fact I have to unplug everything to make it go away. Each thing I unplug causes the voltage to drop. I am going to be adding a grounding probe as a safety precaution. But my main question now is will the 2.5 volts cause the symptoms I have been seeing in my fish? Or should I be looking elsewhere to solve the problem?

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Any amount of stray voltage will have a negative effect on fish. I run a ground probe in every tank I own. You should notice an improvement pretty quickly once that probe is in. Make sure the outlet you plug it into is actively ground.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. jkirven06

jkirven06 Astrea Snail

Awesome. Ground probe will be here today so i will do exactly that. Thanks, will definetly post any improvements or if I still notice issues.

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

yes, let us know because if everything is causing some sort of voltage then that was there before you added your powerheads....Maybe the addition of the added amount was just enough to cause the symptoms?

11. jkirven06

jkirven06 Astrea Snail

It would appear that was the case. Added the grounding probe and almost instantly all the fish perked up and started eating and acting normal again. So looks like we found the main problem...thanks a lot for all the help.

12. frankdontsurf

frankdontsurf Astrea Snail

This thread should be stickied.

Btw the way, I feel bad for the little boogers but in my head I imagined them doing a jitter as in they were hit by a tazer on a cartoon. Lol.