All Acrylic Build

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by PDCCO, Jan 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

WOW!! one of a kind, nice build.

2. Click Here!

3. PDCCO

PDCCO Feather Duster

System update…

I added a very nice selection of SPS frags about ~2 months ago and all are flourishing! Even the first few that I added shortly after the system was up and running are returning to good health after appearing to be completely lost.

Water chemistry has stabilized after several weeks of testing and adjusting dosing rates. Now I am playing with lighting intensity levels to try and bring out the best colors and growth rates - I suspect this will be a long trial and error process.

Lessons learned (the hard way) –

My first build of the DT was a “rim-less” design with 1/2” acrylic walls – This turned out to be a VERY bad idea. After a several weeks the sides began to bow out so severely that the seams began to fail. Fortunately I was able to keep the tank together with a lot of clamps and a bit of luck while I constructed a new DT.

The new DT design was constructed to be “Bullet Proof” and it is! Now the tank is supported much better from the bottom, there is a top brace, and an additional 1/2” ribbing along all of the seams. I am convinced that this tank could fall through the floor and still hold together!

Fortunately the construction of the DT was the only major flaw discovered after the system was up and running.

Things that worked out very well –

Electing to use two 1” return pipes has allowed for a very high rate of flow though the filter system, and since one return is to the fuge and the other is to the skimmer, using the valves on the returns has allowed for a very adjustable filtration system!

My Custom LED lighting system rests 15” above the top of the DT, I can do just about any type of maintenance in the DT without having to worry about the lights. The optics I chose for the system were based on this height, so I still have optimal light spread at that height.

Frag Rack View.jpg
    Close up of the frags

Upper View.jpg
    DT and Lihgting System

Full system view.jpg
    Full System

4. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

5. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Wow... I didnt see this before. Such a cool build. Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted with more updates and pictures!

6. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Same here!! idk how I missed this thing!

Freaking awesome build!!! Very nice skills my friend

7. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale