All Acrylic Build

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by PDCCO, Jan 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Illusions

Illusions Flamingo Tongue

Sorry, I was referencing the quote that was made about using wood, and acrylic possibly not being strong enough. That's why I was saying to include clear acrylic tubes (for strength) in the corners instead of where wood usually is placed in most DIY stands. BTW, Great idea and good luck. I will be following for more pics and info!

2. Click Here!

3. PDCCO

PDCCO Feather Duster

No need to be sorry :)

Actually... building an open clear tubular stand could be really cool! Especially if you integrated the drain & return into the support tubes!

Perhaps after my wife recovers from me obsessing over this project I'll take a crack at something like that :eek:

...On second thought... someone else can build that one and let me know how it works out ;D

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  4. Illusions

Illusions Flamingo Tongue

I honestly thought the same thing with incorporating the return/drain from the support! I think a revision change is needed =)

5. PDCCO

PDCCO Feather Duster

My project is on hold until next week while I wait for another project to finsh and some equipment to free up. So... in the meantime I decided to slap together a DIY led fixture for the tank.

The fixture is 14" x 24" x 2 3/4" constructed of black acrylic, the picture are not good but it does look really nice, will be much easier to photograph when it is suspended above the tank.

Holes Drilled.jpg
    Project started with a 14" x 24" acrylic sheet, holes were drilled at very precise increments for the lenses to be flush mounted with the bottom of the base plate.

Lenses Installed.jpg
    Lenses were then inserted and glued into the base plate.

Heatsinks Wired.jpg
    LED’s are then very carefully glued to heat sinks to match up with the installed lenses; this was by far the most difficult part of the build.

Electronics Installed.jpg
    A frame was constructed for the base plate to be dropped into; several mounting posts were added to make sure the heat sinks stayed in proper alignment and then the ballasts and other electronics were wired up.

I will likely make a few modifications to the design prior to final installation, but over all I am pleased with the outcome; it does look really cool when it is fired up!

6. PDCCO

PDCCO Feather Duster

The project is moving along slowly but steadily…

tank cuts.jpg
    I made all of the necessary cuts for the tank & stand; tank pieces laid out on table with glue at tools…

1side.jpg
    Clamping on one of the sides…

3sides.jpg
    3 Sides done…

join.jpg
    Joining pieces together edge-to-edge, I opted to put a slight round over on the outside of the joined edges; this made a nice guide for the glue to be distributed along and also gave it a more polished look IMO. Of course the real reason is that it could not get a seamless join; so this turned out to be a nice alternative.

After the pieces for the front and back of the stand are assembled, I will then finish beveling all of the edges and assemble the stand. The DT should be assembled by then and I will put the finishing touches on that as well.

7. Peppie

Peppie Bristle Worm

I have never seen a tank put together like this before

8. Click Here!

9. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

This I've got to watch

10. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Acrylic is the best! I would love to use it for everything. If you can pull this off, it might be the cooled tank ever. Good luck!!

11. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Oh and subscribed :)

12. cbs3315

cbs3315 Ritteri Anemone

I'm gonna tag along this sounds pretty cool.