All About Reef Safe Wrasses

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by evolved, Sep 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

As it seems you're aware, you're starting to push the comfort level on the stocking of that tank. That being said, I'll precede to answer the questions you've asked.

I don't feel it's important to add a flasher early in the stocking order; so long as you don't have an aggressive tankmate that shouldn't matter.

As for your other questions:

1) You do get a lot more interaction with a harem, but as you've alluded to, obtaining females (true females mind you) within any given species is generally tough. I believe there's nothing wrong with keeping a lone male, but he won't be nearly as active.

2) Very true indeed. And for that matter, I see specimens listed for sale far too often which are labeled as female when in fact they are transitional males. Diver's simply don't often collect females; they're not pretty. And yes, keeping two (or three) males of a different species also works well. This will keep them active and flashing, generally without a problematic stress level (there's always exceptions). If you really wanted flashers, this is the easier route to take. But I'm not sure you've got enough tank left for 2-3 flashers, let alone multiple males.

3) And here's where your questions get more interesting. First, let's be clear that most all fairys will keep 90% of their color. However, the same holds true for flashers; you just won't get the active, flashing behavior very often is keep singly. So yes, one of the slightly smaller (relative to the Cirrhilabrus genus) fairy wrasses would be more well suited for you, IMO. Ones that come to mind here: C. adornatus, C. flavidorsalis, C. lubbocki, and C. marjorie. Lubbocki is far easiest to obtain here, and not terribly expensive either.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. cowolf

cowolf Plankton

Thanks Evolved, that was extremely helpful and just what I needed to know. When ever I do upgrade in tank size I will for sure get a harem together but won't try to force it on this tank.

I will do some research on those recommended fairy wrasses. If my tank remains nice and stable and it looks good for adding a fish then that's likely what I will do but for now will do my research and then be patient.

I appreciate the advice and explanations on behavioral interactions.

1 person likes this.
  4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Evolved, my LFS actually did get in some female fairies. I have been looking to get either a fairy or flasher for a few weeks, and knowing they do better at least in pairs, I got two of them. Unfortunately I am not sure which species, as they look like female Lubbocki (which look like 3 or 4 others). They were actually labeled as female carpenters believe it or not. I am hoping one transitions into a male of course. My question is if having 1 male and 1 female the way to go or not (assuming one does transition).

Just looking for your thoughts :)

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

One (or both) WILL transition; I'll guarantee that. Do you have a picture? I can ID if so.

FWIW; female lubbocki:
    [​IMG]

But these are in fact quite similar to a few other species, but they're are some subtleties which distinguish them.

There was really no need to keep two as opposed to one, but it certainly won't hurt. You'd would have more than likely ended up with a male if kept alone as well.

No shock on being mis-labeled as a flasher wrasse; something I've seen several times before. :)

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Hmm, I thought fairies did better in small groups rather than alone.

Here is a (semi) close up of one of them (looks like a Lubbocki to me):

[​IMG]

And the BFF's:

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I believe you're correct. 90% chance they're lubbocki. You'll soon find out. :)

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I hope I will find out soon :) Thanks again for looking!

10. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Hey evolved I know Ive brought up a bunch of different possible wrasses on a wishlist that I have asked for some information with. New guy I may possibly purchase is the ornate christmas wrasse. After seeing juvie yellow "coris" wrasses and seeing how difficult the potters wrasses seem to be I find myself interested in the xmas guy.

Is he an appropriate fit in a 46gallon tank with care very similar to the yellow coris? Any issues with feeding Im assuming NLS and mysis would make a good meal as well as any pods he happens to find. I feed once daily would that be sufficient for a wrasse? Also are they a fairly hardy fish or somewhat delicate? Lastly are they known jumpers like the fairy wrasses?
    Thanks again for all your help!

11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

First, ALL wrasses are jumpers. Your tank MUST be covered. If that's not possible, forget it. Halichoeres are fairly hardy, but do need regular feedings; I'd prefer at least 2 per day. You might be able to get by with one however; you'd have to keep a close eye on the weight of the fish. Mysis of anything meaty is fine. A 46g tank is on the boarderline of being big enough, but I'd be comfortable only with the smaller species within the genus. Also, Halichoeres are very good hunters, and they will pick your rocks/substrate all day long. This is fine, but realize they will keep your pop population surpressed; not a big issue if none of your other fish rely heavily on pods (ie - mandarin).

Now, with all that out of the way:

There are three species of fish which often get mixed up with the "Christmas wrasse" label. They are: H. biocellatus, H. claudia, and H. ornatissimus. To me, the best common names on these are Red-lined wrasse, Christmas Wrasse, and Ornate Wrasse, respectively. However, orante's are often called Christmas wrasses as well, and I suspect that's the species you're referring to. And here's the problem: H. ornatissimus gets rather large (7"), is known to become a bit aggressive, and is NOT at all suitable for a 46g tank.

Look towards H. claudia if this is the type of fish you really want. The don't exceed 3.5", and would be fine for a tank of your size.

12. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

For clarity:

H biocellatus
    [​IMG]

H claudia
    [​IMG]

H ornatissimus
    [​IMG]