All About Reef Safe Wrasses

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by evolved, Sep 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

:)
    Good. 1/4" clear mesh; the only way to do it. I keep extra on hand, just in case. ;)

Yes and yes. See the paragraph regarding the "Macropharyngodon" genus under Genuses which are “Reef Safe”.

2. Click Here!

3. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Great article! Still trying o figure out which wrasse(if any) i should put in my 29 biocube.

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Thank you.

We've already gone over this (right here!), but again, if I had a biocube, the only wrasses I would consider are: Pseudocheilinus ataenia (Pink-Streaked Wrasse), any species of the Wetmorella (Possum) genus.

5. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Alright, thanks! So a four line wrasse wouldnt work? It would be my last fish so im ok with not adding any more fish.

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

It would be suitable for the tank size (like most of the Pseudocheilinus wrasses); however the same caveat applies for all of them (excpet the ataenia): they're known to become bullies.

7. Crooks

Crooks Plankton

I just got a super male Lineatus will I need to add one or more females to have him keep his color?

I am thinking of adding a Rhomboid and female Blue star then calming down on adding more wrasses till I get some other fish out. Do you see any compatibility issues with any of these wrasses. Right now the third largest wrasse the Melanurus has been the only one to show mild aggression to new fish.

Cleaner
    Lubbocks
    Orange back
    Whip fin
    Carpenters
    Lepord Meleagris female
    Leopard bipartitus Blue Star male
    Lineatus super male
    McCosker's
    Melanurus
    Filamented
    Yellow coris

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

No need to add females for the lineatus; he will keep all to 90% of his color. There's very few Cirrhilaburs species which actually need females to keep nice coloration. Also, female lineatus can have nasty dispositions sometimes too; all the more reason not to add them.

How large is your tank?

I don't see anything exceptionally concerning with that list; however I am a bit surprised the Whip-fin plays nice. They're usually pretty nasty themselves. But this would be a fine example of how YMMV as the attitude of every given fish is different and doesn't always align with the norm.

Good luck!

10. Crooks

Crooks Plankton

My tank is a 240 gallon deep dimension. I have a few to many fish right now and will be getting rid of one of the 9" tangs and hopefully 6 chromis if I can catch them.

11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Updated, notably I updated the info about acclimation boxes. The company which I obtained my own is no longer in business, I've been informed (link removed).

12. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

A testimonial for the screen toppers: Wrasse can jump into the glass tops hard enough to kill themselves.