All About Reef Safe Wrasses

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by evolved, Sep 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

The possums are all about the same in terms of "boldness", in which they are somewhat passive but typically visible. Rarely will they swim out into the open water however; they do tend to stick near the rock/sand.

2. Click Here!

3. Raven312

Raven312 Plankton

So here's the deal: I originally ordered a Blue Star Leopard Wrasse, which I'm aware are very delicate. So much so that the one that I was purchasing didn't survive the quarantine (due to harassment by another fish). The shop was treating her for worms and making sure she ate live food before I brought her home. They're expecting more soon and we'll try it again. I was disappointed because it was almost time to bring her home.

In the meantime, I stopped in another shop that I frequent and they had a Meleagris Leopard (I believe - they said it's from Fiji and it's colored like the Meleagris I saw the night before at a buddy's house), very pretty, about 2". They said they had her quarantined for almost 3 weeks before putting her in gen pop, where she's been for 2 weeks. I couldn't see her eat, though they tried to feed her. I'm probably nuts but I bought her. I got some Garlic Guard to entice her to eat when she shows herself, I'm looking for some black worms and I've ordered some Prazipro, just to be safe. I asked them to put some sand in the bag so that she could bury herself during transport, which she did. I don't have any sand in my quarantine tank so I put her into the display, which I'm sure wasn't the best idea but I also didn't want to move her yet again.

This is a 65 gallon with 20 gallon sump, with 2-3 inches of sand, 55 lbs of live rock from a previously established tank. Other inhabitants are a young Black Oscellaris Clownfish pair, a young Lubbocks Wrasse, a 4" Starry Blenny, and a very young and small Crested Oyster Goby. I don't think anyone will harass her. Is there anything else I should do to help her a acclimate in this tank?

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

FWIW, in the future you can always add a plastic container with some sand to the QT.

At this point, I don't see much more to do. Patience until it emerges, and then find something it will eat. Black worms are often a good choice, and it sounds like you are well on the right path.

5. Raven312

Raven312 Plankton

Thank you! I didn't think about a container with sand. I'll do that with the next one (I believe there will be one more - my last fish).
    I'll just be patient, let her do her thing and try to keep her healthy.

6. Raven312

Raven312 Plankton

My Leopard Wrasse emerged tonight (partially) in a way that I wasn't expecting - she's mostly above ground, in a cocoon! I didn't know they do that. Does that signal that she's alright so far or is there trouble?
    [​IMG]

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Sorry to say, but that one is no more. :(

8. Click Here!

9. Raven312

Raven312 Plankton

Yeah, I was told that she's gone and took her out this morning. Unfortunately, I can't tell what happened so other than the QT tank I don't know what to do differently. I will try to watch the next one eat before bringing it home but this one lasted 5 weeks at the store so it may have eaten something.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Ime even if they're eating at the store, they're often too far gone.

As controversial as it sounds, a lot of stores swear by not giving them a sand bed when they first come in. This way they can ensure they'll eat. A lot of times they dive into the sand bed and are never seen again.

11. Raven312

Raven312 Plankton

I understand. I'd almost rather they did that (no or little sand), get them eating and I'll take them home.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  12. Raven312

Raven312 Plankton

I got her replacement (a Potter's), way ahead of schedule. She's larger than the other, very curious and calm, and eats like a pig. I expected her to dig into the sand and not come out. She never did. She's been swimming around all night, comes to the glass when I approach and eats from my fingers, which is shocking. She's been treated with Prazipro and another medication after that. I have Prazipro on hand, though. This one, I'm already attached to. Never expected her to eat from my hand.

[​IMG]

evolved likes this.