Alkalinity Question

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by AGY, Dec 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AGY

AGY Plankton

I have read several threads about alkalinity inlcuding some articles.

I keep my KH at 220 ppm lately I have seen the tips of my acros burned :eek: I am wondering if the obey to have the KH set to high? Calcium at 460

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

That is not generally too high although it is on the high end of the range. Do you dose anything like zeovit or prodibio or vodka by chance? I've heard of people getting burned tips with alk that high when using those types of carbon dosing/bacteria systems. Also did you recently just bump it up a large number? Raising the alkalinity too fast can sometimes cause damage/stress to the corals which could be part of the problem.

4. AGY

AGY Plankton

Screwtape;

I do dose zeovit and I just statred dosing vodka this week .03 mil the first 3 days an now I am doing .6 mil from the 4 to the 7th day. I am wondering if this is causing the fast burning of the tips?

I do dose zeovit vitalizer 3 drops every 3th day and ultra bank 2 ml.

5. Screwtape

It could be, I believe zeovit recommends maintaining alkalinity closer to natural saltwater levels, more around 8dkh, 143ppm http://www.saltyzoo.com/SaltyCalcs/AlkConv.php for conversions, I think (you might want to doublecheck that, that's just from memory). I would try dropping it down.

6. AGY

AGY Plankton

I did a20% water change still can not drop my Alkalinity still at 220 ppm :angry: any suggestions as to how to lower it? i read using vinager but at this point I am not sure if I want to dose anything else to my tank.

Regards

7. Screwtape

What is the alkalinity of your salt mix? Perhaps you need a different salt if you plan to use zeovit, one with more natural alkalinity levels?