Algone... anyone know what it actually is?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Toronto_Guy, Apr 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

There are some older threads on this topic, but nobody seems to know what exactly is in the Algone pouches. I was curious about it because a LFS manager I know uses it in his display tank and swears by it.

My gut feeling is that since the company that makes it is so vague about what it does, it is either something really basic that would be easy to replicate.... or it is total hogwash. I can't totally write it off as hogwash though.... since the LFS manager I know is otherwise very reliable.

The funny thing is, I have a product for my backyard pond that makes all the same claims as Algone does...... it's simply barley that you scoop into the water.

I am curious if Algone might be something similar... any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

We use to carry it. People who purchased it claimed it worked well, but they used it on freshwater systems. No clue how well it will work in SW.

As for what is in it, IDK.

4. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

all i know is that on my freshwater i had it worked awesome. i mean overnight it took my nasty green water to pristine. that was back when i didnt know much tho lol