Algea on sandbed.**1-31-2011**

Discussion in 'Algae' started by SnooknRedz, Jan 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

Get a turkey baster from the dollar store and manually syphon it out daily until you can afford to get the stuff to get rid of the problem. It will get out of control if you don't manage it now.;)

2. Click Here!

3. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

That looks like cyno to me

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

over feeding. i think not. i feed at least 3 times a day and dont have that.. look into your filtration. look at the bio load i have

5. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Just put in some GFO from my LFS in my HOB filter. Anxious to see the results and ill make sure to post pics along the way. I appreciate all the input!

6. yeti

yeti Astrea Snail

Just out of curosity how often do you guys change your GFO? I was just curious after reading this thread and figured it wasn't too off the subject and could be helpful to us newbies. :D

7. SnooknRedz

Good ? I wouldn't know i would guess when phosphates start showing back up, but without testing idk how long that would be. Any suggestions guys?

8. Click Here!

9. janderson2k

janderson2k Flamingo Tongue

We talking about reactors? If so, I change out my Phosban every 7 or 8 weeks.

10. SnooknRedz

Not necessarily reactors, i just have GFO in a sock in my HOB filter. It isnt much im only running a 20 gallon tank. But im thinking to change about that couple months sounds bout right. just to be on the safe side anyway, like i said i dont have much in there so im good for a while.

11. SnooknRedz

Well its been 5 days since i added GFO to my tank and i gotta say, you wouldn't even notice. algae is growing back on my sand bed after I siphoned it out. its growing like crazy on my rocks and glass as exponential rates. I have no nitrates, at all. And unfortunately no phosphate test kit to match. But i know i have some obviously or I wouldn't be in this predicament. Ive had cheato running too in my system for a few weeks and its not doing a damn thing. I thought with that it was supposed to help reduce phosphates and now with GFO It should have taken them right away, no? that's what Ive been told "it'll clear over night" But that's the complete opposite unfortunately in the accumulation of more and more algae. I'm waiting for my CUC from Reef cleaners to come tomorrow, but i don't see how much snails are really going to make my tank pristine and back to normal. Very frustrated. I don't know what else i can possibly do. Any info as to what i can do is very appreciated. I dont want to have to throw in the towel but its looking like that might be the only way to combat this hellish nightmare. thanks

1-31-2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

These pics look kinda like the Dinoflagellates from the Nuisance Algae Thread.