Unresolved algea growth on tang= dead tang plus dead picaso clowns

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by loneracer05, Nov 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

in addition to the constant waterchange system i change 5 gallons a week.

i run carbon. no bio balls. there is a sponge before the pump. and live rock in the rear middle chamber in a media bag that i remove and shake out in my water change water every 3 weeks.

i feed the mantis mostly live foods large crabs and snails i mix in frozen food to get extra nutrients into him

2. Click Here!

3. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I don't think the issue was illness, but to much ammonia, nitrite, and/or nitrate. Please test these.

4. loneracer05

0 ppm amonia 0ppm nitrites 5 ppm nitrates

5. loneracer05

what was the hair algae like stuf growing on my tang? sorry i dont have pics

6. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

How many gallons/day or /week does the automatic constant water change system change? If you are doing constant changes AND 5 gal/week - you might be swinging parameters too much.

The issue of fish health derives almost exclusively from the issue of bioload. So to try to discount that and only look at the fish illness you are looking though a keyhole - you need to look at the big picture.

PBT's are notorious for getting sicknesses. And to cram a 2" PBT in a 29 gallon tank will make them true to their name. Was the algae looking stuff growing off of him when he was alive? What color was it? Sounds like it could be a parasite or maybe REALLY bad ich due to bioload conditions.

Pretty hard to tell without a pic.

7. loneracer05

the system takes about 2 gallons per week from this tank. it was on it while it was alive.looked almost like a human hair would look in the water with detritus on it, it was brown. it was streaming off of the fish about 6 long strands 3/4 in long and about 20 mabe 30 shorter strands. i was thinking mabe fungal? ive never delt with fungal infections though

8. Click Here!

9. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Fungal woudl be my guess to. it manifested due to the stress of that fish in its environment. had that not beena factor, the fish and their slimecoat and natural defenses would have fought off this type of infection.

Sorry for your loss, but that tank is way too small for that fish. the 90 is pushing it as they are the type of fish to occupy a very large natural territory.

10. loneracer05

so i sohuld just le tit be now? or move fish to qt?

11. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

29 gallons, 30 gallons, its practically the same IMO

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

i think he means minimum like how some people keep fish in a 5 gallon tank...they can survive, but they surely aren't happy. but i see your point

EDIT: but a biocube is a cube (obviously) where as a regular 30 gal tank would be longer therefore allowing more swimming room