Algea Eater

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by BAD_Habit, Nov 2, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BAD_Habit

BAD_Habit Plankton

Right where I wanna be!!, SC,South_Carolina
    Hello everyone it been quite along time since I visited.

I've got a quick Question I'd like to ask.

I recently bought a couple algae eaters to try and combat a an algae problem.

Both are doing quite well and are very active , but I noticed one has changed color. Is this normal?

I don't see anything wrong with him/her but it just seemed to happen within about a weeks time of putting them in the tank.

The one stayed the same color as when purchased (a grayish color) But the other has went to a Yellow color.

Any idea's?

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

It is possible that one of the algae eaters is stressed causing it to change coloration. Another thought is that it may be sick, but I don't think that is the case. Possible a different color morph or maybe they were collected from different areas whcih can also cause color or pattern changes! Male and females many times are different in color as well!!!
    Now, trying to decipher the exact reason will be kind of hard to do unfortunately.
    What you need to do in addition to the addition of algae eaters, which I am a big believer of Plecostomus', is the correcting the algae in the first place before it gets out of control! Maybe live plants, reduced feedings, carbon additive, and more efficient filtration may be the answer!
    Good luck!

4. BAD_Habit

BAD_Habit Plankton

Right where I wanna be!!, SC,South_Carolina
    Thanks Coral for the advise.

Although the only thing that I havent got in your suggestions is live plants.

Here's a run down of my tank.

I have a 75 Gal. with twin Emperor 400 Bio wheel filters It also has additional media blanks(which I use) as well as the standard filters.

I also Have an undergravel filter system with Twin Penguin 550 powerheads.

My fish are as follows.

2 Spotted Catfish
    2 Pegasus Catfish
    1 Redtail Shark
    2 Bala Sharks
    3 Black Skirt Tetras
    2 Algae Eaters

In the past 2 months I lost My Pleco and a cory cat that Ive had since 04.

The 2 Algae eaters arent pleco's they are the loach algae eaters.

I only feed once a week so I know im not over feeding.

My algae problem isnt out of control but its persistent. Until my pleco passed it never bothered me , I never even knew he died until my wife spotted his skull while the catfish were playing with it. Within a week of removing its remains i started to notice the decorations turning green. I then purchased the Algae eaters for the sole purpose of cleaning it up. I vowed before not to buy anymore fish until the ones I have pass on because I want to have Cichlids next.

Ive only been @ this for 3 years now and have come a long way since my first joining this forum.
    Great folks Great advise. Thanks for replying!

On another note would installing an aeration system be beneficial?

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

In terms of the plants, they will compete for the same nutrients as the algae, as well as increase dissolved oxygen to your tank.
    As for other alternatives for increasing the oxygen level, you can add a bubble diffusor and air pump for that situation if you choose to.
    Glad you have made leaps and bounds in the hobby.

6. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

er what kind of algae eater

HI,
    There are numerous species of algae eaters some are efficient like and other's can opertunist feeder like many of asian alage eaters that only eat algae when young.
    My favorites are the clown pecs and the red plec. royals, and so on.
    Most pecs are missunderstood they need heat, natural wood in the tank. and a occasional feeding of those round disks, I feed at night wit the lights off,to prevent other fish from eating all the disk
    Many fish keeper collect exotics plecs because of their special appearance.
    Doug

here's some pictures of exotic pleco's
    [​IMG]

Photo Gallery @ http://www.plecofanatics.com/gallery

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  7. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

the grey ones are babys when they turn yellow is when they are mature