Algaefix Marine by API

Discussion in 'Algae' started by steve wright, May 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

dose 4 on the FOWLR , I bet we can see the difference clearly when the images are up barbianj

Steve

2. Click Here!

3. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

The algae is dying en masse and making a big mess. All of it has a fuzzy, fluffy appearance. The stuff on the back wall is basically dead. I started scraping it off a little at a time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. steve wright

excellent news barbianj
    your going to be busy syphoning in the near future , me thinks

and I assume from the images there, that the fish are completely oblivious to this treatment as they seem to be going about their business as usual

Steve

5. barbianj

Steve, the fish are all doing fine. I've seen enough in that tank to show that the Algaefix is working, so I'm going to kill the lights for two or three days and finish it off. At 60 ml per dose, it goes pretty fast.

6. steve wright

barbianj I forgot about the size of this system
    its easy for me with my 7 mils once per week nowdays to overlook just how much you would need in your set ups

7. barbianj

I had a long day at work yesterday, fell asleep early, and kind of forgot to do the doses, so I did them this morning. 15 mil on the reef (up from 10) and 60 for the fish.

The algae in the reef was targeted with a syringe into the larger algae patches. If I do this again, I'll dilute it a little in tank water first, 15 mil does not go far.

In the reef tank, Algaefix has proven to eliminate film algae, red bubble algae and reduce the red hair type algae, but the green stuff I have is pretty resilient. It's time to get tough with this stuff, so I also direct injected 15 mil of hydrogen peroxide into the remaining algae.

I also started a lights off period that started yesterday. The reef lights will go back on tomorrow, and the fish lights will stay off for a day or two longer. I didn't turn the lights off in the Queen Trigger's tank since there's not much algae in there. I won't have any pictures until the lights go back on.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

The only place I have algae in any tanks is in my Hydor Korallia's. I've scrubbed them but it's growing out of the inside of them. As a result, it will grow back. I decided to run the hydors in a gallon container with a concentrated amount of Algaefix. Hopefully, this will work.

10. steve wright

Thats a good idea
    I have similar issue with mine
    I take them out and immerse them in a pan of boiling water and then scrub with scotch pad
    but even after that, it will eventually make a return

Steve

11. barbianj

For the most part the green algae does not seem to be weakened by the Algaefix or from having the lights off for two days. I did some manual removal, and it was tough to get off. I am going to continue with a weekly maintenance dose, and use manual removal and hydrogen peroxide (15 ml max/day) to get rid of the rest. I double checked for phosphates and TDS in my RO storage container, and they read zero.

Visually, it looks as if there is more green algae. Long term I was more worried about the red bubble algae, and that is nearly eliminated.

Today (after some manual removal and hydrogen peroxide)
    [​IMG]

Start
    [​IMG]

12. steve wright

That looks to have been a very effective treatment barbianj

strange how for you that the Algae fix worked on the reds, but not the greens
    and for me it was completely the reverse and my greens including some GHA but mostly the turf type stuff cleared up during the twice weekly dosing period

Steve