Algaefix Marine by API

Discussion in 'Algae' started by steve wright, May 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BlueWaters10

BlueWaters10 Skunk Shrimp

I just did my second dose with this stuff and in 6 days all my film algae is gone! Still have a few spots of hair algae though.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

barbianj - my experience with the GHA which was only confined to wavemakers cross hairs and around the edges, was that it started receding after 4 or so doses . I can still see signs of it on those places but I believe the ULNS I have achieved with the Vodka dosing, is just making nutrients to difficult for the algae to come by and as such its not growing back

I did find that a careful aim of the syphon did remove GHA after it had a few treatments of Algaefix
    previously its grip was much stronger and it would not be removed by the syphon

can you get some images up BlueWaters10 - before, in progress and then after images are very helpful to anyone else considering this product

Steve

4. BlueWaters10

BlueWaters10 Skunk Shrimp

Most of my build up was on the back glass and it was hard to get a photo with my phone I will try to see if I can't find a good shot tonight. I was cleaning my glass everyday and I have only cleaned twice since coding

5. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Hello everyone.

Well I tried this stuff over three days - no can do any longer.

Here is why,

First, every time I dose with this stuff my Anthelia and my Xenia run for the hill's, secondly, my RBTA has been in stealth mode since this products introduction, as well as my encrusting Gorgonian, it has not come out much lately- the rest are fine.

It does what is states- slowly kills algae- but it also affects macro growth- it has actually stoped any growth in my sump.

While I can do the same thing in a matter of a few minites wth a mag float and patience- with no harm to my critters or the macro I keep, for an unmature tank/system- this product would probly work well.

I wish this would have worked for me, sure would help on maintence.

Perhaps, the natural sunlight is the problem, I don't know? Funny thing tho, water still tests perfect.

How can this be- given what my critters are experienceing? What are they trying to tell me that I am not testing for?

I will give it one more day. Saturday, becomes water change day- 50%.

6. steve wright

fortune telling abilities?
    No updates from alpha 03 then it seems

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I did the sixth dose on the reef yesterday, but ran out of Algaefix for the FOWLR. I'll have to get more today. The stubborn green algae is still hanging in there. I knew it was tenacious and would be a good test for the Algaefix. The corals are all looking pretty good overall, so I think I'll continue the dosage, and up it a little. I think I will do a 15 ml dose vs 10 ml, and turn the lights out on the day of the dose.

I'm please with the results so far. The back of the tank is extremely clean, and the film algae is greatly reduced, if not completely gone. I'm able to use particle sized food like Reef Chili and Coral Frenzy without the slight film algae outbreaks.

One thing to note, is that I've been feeding the tank as much as or a little more than usual. I'm not starving the tank to get rid of a small amount of algae.

Steve, how has the maintenance dose phase been going for you?

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

great update barbianj

your question 1st
    that green/black stuff has all but gone, I believe the Vodka dosing is now preventing it making a comeback , I have dosed once this week and my next dose will be next Wednesday and I am also experiencing the same relief from glass cleaning (I threw my magnets away last September and use filter wool and manually wipe the glass once per week on water change day and to be honest the only reason I did this last week is my OCD because nothing seemed to be beiing wiped off LOL)

the last dose I did was Via a syringe relieved from Aiptasia X product thus I was able to direct the Algaefix marine directly at the worst areas of the red stuff
    I need to get new images up - as I now have easily identifiable bald spots on the rock it was on

are you still running GFO and Vodka dosing? (I did and experienced zero negatives from doing so and believe the combo of the chemical and the starving helped with the green stuff including GHA )

10. barbianj

So have you seen a positive result from spot application?

I don't run GFO anymore. I did when the tank was first set up, but discontinued it when I started the vodka. I still dose 2 mil of vodka per day.

11. steve wright

Yes without doubt, the areas that are bald are areas I made contact with the rockwork, whilst releasing the syringe full of chemical
    with a max of 7 mils for my tank vol to work with, it did mean I could not cover every area to the same degree, but next dose, I will focus on areas next to the bald spots and thus increase the amount of clearing I achieve

I would have a go with that provided like you suggested to me, you can keep it clear of the corals when doing it

12. barbianj

OK, I'll try spot application on the next dose. Picked up some more Algaefix and did dose four on the FOWLR. I'll get pictures up on the next dose.

I have used a syringe to apply hydrogen peroxide. It usually takes 2 or 3 applications, but it is fairly successful at killing small patches of algae. I may try that if the spot application of Algaefix and lights out combo doesn't do it in.

1 person likes this.