Algaefix Marine by API

Discussion in 'Algae' started by steve wright, May 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Hmmm. Are you sure the red stuff isn't cyanobacteria? I have some on the rocks in the FOWLR tank that is a very thick, rubbery mat. Whenever I do a three day lights out, it's completely gone.

How far into the dosing did it take for the GHA to fade?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

barbianj - I think my red stuff is identical to yours to be honest, looks the same anyway
    [​IMG]

GHA - dose 5 or 6 and it had thinned out and was syphonable! it lost it will to stay adhered to the surfaces

Steve

4. barbianj

That's good to know, Steve. Just did dose four on the reef tonight. Also did dose two on the FOWLR, even though it's a day early, to keep the dosing day the same as the reef.

The plate, a Favia and one of the Duncans don't look real happy. Everything else is doing great.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I'm glad to see that it's working against the Anotrichium. IMO, that is the most challenging species that I've encountered in the hobby because you cannot starve it out. I've done the heavy brushing and then rinsing in saltwater method. I've also done the propane torch and rinsing method with it. At least with Algaefix you don't have to rip your aquascaping apart.

6. steve wright

thanks for the update barbianj
    any images of the FOWLR , before the product kicks in, so we can see what your dealing with and then later how effective it was

good point on the not needing to strip down the reef/ and deal with or replace affected rockwork

My sally lightfoots are consuming this more often now
    in the absence of other 'green ' algae types it seems they are having to eat what they find, irrespective of prefference

Steve

7. barbianj

The first two pictures are of the Queen Trigger's tank. There is no hair algae in that tank, and only a tiny amount of cyano on the sand that comes and goes. No big deal. The other tank has a bunch of fuzzy stuff. Some is red and some is green. It doesn't really bother me, but now that I look at it in a picture, it looks like crap. :p. I can do a three days lights out and it will be gone. The gravel is very clean, though, never any cyano.

In the basement I have a nice skimmer running in a 100 gallon Rubbermaid, and a 90 gallon tank with a giant wad of chaeto in it. I've been trying to bring the nitrates down to introduce some hardy corals into the tanks. Both of the tanks are tied to this system.

The reason for the Algaefix in these tanks is to get rid of the fuzzy algae and make it a better place to start some corals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

ideal update barbianj

I have seen a lot worse, but I fully understand and relate for to your desire to erradicate it

be interesting to see how the product works out, in this higher nutrient enviroment

Steve

10. barbianj

Did dose five on the reef and dose three on the FOWLR. The Favia still looks a little off, like it is losing pigment in a small area. I'm going to assume that it needs to be a little more out of direct lighting and move it over a bit.The Duncan that was closed for the last few days was moved to a higher flow area and it's starting to open up. These issues may not be related to the Algaefix.

[​IMG]

Comparing close ups. The red bubble algae is nearly gone. However, the green algae appears to have grown, although the tips are a little white. The red algae is very white and shorter, but actually looks more dense. If it doesn't start to loosen up after the next dose or two, I'll do a one or two day lights out. I may consider a spot application of the Algaefix.

Day one
    [​IMG]

Today
    [​IMG]

You can see that the back of the tank is perfectly clean. The only thing I scraped off were the tiny feather duster shells.

The Duncan is in the bottom left of the first picture. It's about halfway open now. Maybe it was just a little pissy?

[​IMG]

(New foam rock is on the left)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  11. steve wright

great update barbianj
    the FTS shows just how little of an algae problem you have in reality
    the close up shots paint a mostly false picture of the overall state of your aquarium

does look to be very effective on the red bubble and I can see signs of thinning out , tip color fade on the red stuff

Steve

12. barbianj

You're right, Steve, I don't have an algae "problem", but with zero nitrates and phosphates, I was a little concerned that the green algae could grow at all. I figured it was tough stuff and would be the last to go. The red bubble algae melting away is a bonus. I'd say 95% of all the algae in the tank is on the rock to the right of the seahorse. That's the one in the high flow area that I've been using as an example.

What are your thoughts about the progress? Does the algae suddenly wilt away after a certain period?