Algaefix Marine by API

Discussion in 'Algae' started by steve wright, May 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Heh, well it begins, just dosed with the correct amount for 55 gallons (my tank and the sump) but I only used half a dose, tomorrow morning if all goes well I will add the other half dose. I did however pull my wellso out of the tank and relocated him to the big tank- these guys are very touchy so I want to take no chances on his health, he still isnt very happy from the shipping- doing well but not as well as I think he should- so I'll keep the stress to a minium. Not to mention that damn dragon goby, he hates when I place coral on the sand bed- I don't know why he act's this way- he never bothers my clams or any thing else- just corals.

2. Click Here!

3. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

You should be fine. Fwiw, I have a Wellso in the tank that I'm dosing and haven't noticed any issues. Fully inflated and eats the same as always, like a pig!

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

barbianj - similar experience for me
    3 x Wellso's in my set up and not one of them seemed to register the fact I have been treating

Steve

5. alpha_03

Yea that is why I mentioned the dragon- he, for some odd reason, likes to bury my bottom dwelling coral- so I just dont put them there any more.

I tried your suggestion about the tubing. I raised the wellso up about 3 inches- the dragon still covers him with sand- arrrr. cool fish but he is a pain in the rear.

6. steve wright

Thats one very determined fish Alpha03

good idea to move it then, otherwise it would just have become a battle of wits with the fish, and they invariably win IME

7. alpha_03

LOL yea he is, I would put him in the big tank but the monster carpet is in there and he eats new commers like no tomorrow. And, as I have found, that I will never buy such a critter again (carpet) they consume a lot of real estate. They are really not overly demanding (to me) but man- they eat like no tomorrow, but such a cool critter. My carpet has grown to over 24" in diameter, and his Clarkii is 4 inches easy- he steals food to feed his nen. If he keeps growing I will have to give him away- my 165 gallon is only so big and I have no room for a bigger tank right now.

8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

Eight days after the first dose. The picture on the top is day one, today on the bottom. You can see that the red algae is on the decline, as well as the red bubble algae, which surprised me. I thought that stuff would hold on to the end. It's great news, because it can be very difficult to get rid of..

The green algae appears to have grown a bit, but I think it only looks that way because the red receded. The green looks a little faded and white at the tips, but that's about it. Not bad for just over a week, though.

The back glass is absolutely clean the only thing left are the tiny feather duster shells, or whatever those are. They will be scraped off a little at a time. The front glass is still spotless.

All other corals and critters seem normal. I started feeding more Reef Chili and Coral Frenzy for fear that there is not enough particle matter for feeding. Killing the algae is a change in the food chain. That could possibly be why some of the corals deflated a bit rather that from the Algaefix itself.

I also started dosing the FOWLR system with Algaefix yesterday. Algae is not a big deal there, but it would be nice to scrape the glass less often and get rid of the red velvety stuff on the rocks.

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. steve wright

great update barbianj

seems to be working well for you
    8 days means only 2 doses thus far?

it will be interesting to see the updates images in just over week, after dose 4 and the 5 are added

11. barbianj

Three doses, Steve. You have to count the first day. ;)

(I made that mistake, too when I was counting back in my notes :-[)

I think you're right, a couple more doses and I think most of it will dissolve away. The green stuff may take a bit longer. I'm real happy with the progress of the red bubble algae. I thought I would be stuck with a little of that forever.

12. steve wright

barbianj - yes 3 , Doh

I noticed elimination of micro 1st, followed by what little GHA I had, and during this process the green/black rock covering turf like algae
    thats almost gone now

its only the pesky red stuff thats still hanging on

Steve