Algaefix Marine by API

Discussion in 'Algae' started by steve wright, May 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

sounds like a good idea barbianj
    it is strange, because IMHO, I dont think anything in my tank noticed its presence for the 1st x 4 doses.

after dose 5 or 6 my carpet lobo closed up for 2 days, which I did think may be related , then it 21 gun saluted and its been happy as it was before through doses 7 and 8

all my other Acans, Wellso, Torch and SPS displayed no visible changes in behaviour during the treatment

Steve

2. Click Here!

3. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

lol I took pics yesterday put was peocupied with a new frog spawn so I will upload the pics from the first ose and thenafter I do the second.

My next question is did you see a rise niitrates or nitrites once the alge went away.

4. steve wright

rc mcwaters3

Nitrites - I did not test for this to be honest, only use a nitrite test kit these days if I am setting up a new tank to monitor cycle ( even then i know its going to occur so I do not always follow its progress) or if I had noticed issues with the corals, then I would probably have tested for ammonia and Nitrite to eliminate them from my enquiries

on the nitrates issue - I do test that reasonably often still
    continued to use GFO during treatment to help remove any released PO4 from the decaying algaes

still reading 0 nitrates, despite the algae decay

Steve

5. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

6. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Don't know if you can tell by the picture, but the tips of the algae are slightly white and fading. All of the corals seem to be normal today. I'll add another dose tonight.

[​IMG]

7. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Not yet, my product just arrived today- I will start it tomorrow night. then we shall see. I also created a 25 gallon storage SW exchange tank with 200 gph inlet & outlet pumps (an old 29 gallon tank I have) just incase. This week end before I start this I am gonna make sure the water is perfect- that way I know what was and what will be from this products usuage.

The duster thing concerns me as I have a yellow & purple duster that is doing quite well - we shall see. If need be I will relocate him to the big tank.

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

That does look to be progressing to me
    I also note a general fading in the color of the green areas around the edges of the rockwork in the picture

excellent Alpha03
    Looking forward to more feedback , barbianj duster it appears have returned to normal so hopefully just a temporary "whats going on here then" reaction from them

Steve

10. barbianj

I just finished feeding the fish and the corals. Some things I noticed:

The front of the glass that I cleaned the other day is still spotless. The whispy algae on the back glass is basically dead. It blows off easily with the feeding tube. Most of the red bubble algae appears partially deflated and lighter in color. With the flow off for feeding, the green algaes appear limp.

11. barbianj

That's exactly what it was Steve. You know how it is when you look at your tank and you know something is not quite right, but you don't know what it is? I've never seen them all closed before. Since then, all of the feather dusters have been open for business.

So far, there seems to be minimal effect on the reef inhabitants, and the nuisance algae is on the decline.

12. steve wright

sounds like its being effective for you from the outset, which is good news

Steve

great news in this update barbianj

I really look forward to seeing the progress on the red stuff
    as this is either the same or a similar species I have resulted to 1st target dose at today - taking care to avoid surrounding corals

Steve