Algaefix Marine by API

Discussion in 'Algae' started by steve wright, May 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

I also picked this stuff up last night and started dosing. Vodka dosing has eliminated growth, but like Steve, has not completely eliminated it. I have mostly film algea on the glass and very short GHA on the rocks. We shall see if this eliminates it.

2. Click Here!

3. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Thank You Steve, it is after all only algae (hopefully I wont have a problem).

So, I have Grape, Caulerpa, and little Halamedan and of course Coralline on my rocks- none on the tank as of yet- to young for this. So we will start this lil' project sometime this week, when the product arrives. (couldnt find it locally)

I will record temps, and water quality (every two days), and keep the lighting to what most tanks would be- closed back, T5's only- this way I can verify what happens to the "glass algae" that most people hate.

My lighting is as follows: Front to back:

2 x 454 atinic
    2 x fiji purple
    1 x colormax, I believe this bulb to be about 8k- but I could be wrong.
    1 x 11k

All bulbs are new, and are at 39 watts each of T5 HO, using a CA german made aluminum, 97%, reflector array.

Lighting schedule- pair of 454's first light (6 am), pair of fiji purples (8 am) then the 8k and 11k pair (10 am) until 6 am then the reverse in 1 hour increments- until 9:00 PM. Atinics on for an additional hour- so 10 PM is lights out (except 3 blue LED's).

Present water temps- 80 degrees

I have already listed water parameters- these were taken @ mid day Saturday, 5-7-2011.

Here we go. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Well, I can tell that the algae is slowly fading. It's hard to tell by the larger picture, so I did a couple of crops, one from the first picture I posted, and one from tonight. It hasn't been that long, so the difference isn't that noticeable, but it's there.

By eye, I can tell that there is much less of a green tint to the front glass, and the tips of the green and the red algae are turning white. I can also tell that the algae that first started out in the high flow area in the front is doing better in areas with a little less flow and a little less light. Some of the red bubble algae seems to be a little lighter in color as well.

Keep in mind that this stuff was barely hanging on, I just like to feed a lot, as in feeding all of the corals nearly every day. I could have cut back to a moderate feeding cycle and the algae would have slowly receded on it's own.

The growout tank that is connected to the DT had just finished it's initial growth of algae and had all disappeared before the Algaefix started. In fact, there was so little algae in there that I had to take all of the snails out. I'll probably have to do the same thing with the snails in the DT if the Algaefix does what it claims, or they will starve.

5/6
    [​IMG]

5/10
    [​IMG]

5. barbianj

The back wall of the tank had some short, whispy algae on it, since I don't scrape it. Today it has all turned white and is nearly gone. I cleaned the white film from the front and side yesterday, and today they are still perfectly clean. The algae on the rocks have a little more white on the tips. I'm a little concerned that I didn't see any feather dusters out when I got home from work. There are a lot of them, but not one out. Hmmmm.

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Keep us updated on the dusters barbianj
    its possibly a case of them adjusting to the chemicals in the solution and hopefully no long term harm has been caused

my next dose will be Friday
    and instead of broadcasting the dosage to my tank I am going to use one the syringes designed to collect water, provided in many test kits

I will then be able to focus the dose, on the areas with the red bush algae and hopefully make more impact on it with that concentrated method of use

Steve

7. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

well ya got me hooked so I figured I would try iy as well I will post pics on friday but I started it yesterday to help with some green hair alge across the front glass and rocks

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

any progress to report as yet Alpha03?
    its typically after 4 doses that many people have noticed significant differences
    be interested in knowing how the treatment is working out on your set up

Steve

10. steve wright

thank you rc mcwaters3

pictures are ideal, as that way others will be able to asses the progress
    and you will also benefit, because seeing the tank every day, you do not always notice subtle changes, but when your comparing images, its helpful

Steve

11. steve wright

Sacul 1573

get some images up, if you can, share with the forum your progress with this treatment

Steve

12. barbianj

I was thinking about a spot application as well, Steve, but the algae seems to be receding. I've done this with hydrogen peroxide on small patches of algae. It's fairly effective after two applications, but it can't be used too close to corals.

The feather dusters opened up later in the afternoon, but it was still odd. A Favia and an Acan Rotundoflora that are normally very hungry have not been so for the last two days. Nothing serious, just a little off.

I'll do the next dose tomorrow as scheduled, but if anything else seems strange, I may spread the doses out a day or two more.