Algaefix Marine by API

Discussion in 'Algae' started by steve wright, May 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

OK then, I will post a pic- mind you this tank gets direct sunlight for 3 hours a day- this is by design. I use black acrylic of different heights to control the amount of light that enters the tank.

2. Click Here!

3. alpha_03

Ok here is a video of the 45 gallon- mind you I am not a very good photographer. :)

[​IMG]

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

excellent a video link on photobucket, so Steve gets to see it

the image quality is not that great , but thats the nature of the beast with photobucket movies IME

its hard to make out, but is it GHA your considering using this product against - looks like back wall and some of the rockwork has this nuisance on it?

because I have read literally 100s of accounts of this product now, and GHA is one of the algaes that this product recieves the most positive feedback in terms of dealing with the issue

some tips I picked up and can thus pass on

after 4 or 5 doses, the GHA tends to look like its losing its chlorophyl and fades to a brown/yellow color, at this stage, manual removal is very easy it just comes away in clumps and can even by syphoned out (which is practically impossible IME when the stuff is healthy, it wont shift under the amount of pressure which a syphon typically generates)

Steve

5. alpha_03

Well It isnt GHA that is for sure- I only have it on the side and back wall As I dont clean them because I am experimenting with different macros, it's only been a few weeks with the macro's but it's the type of algae you get when there is to much sun light- I believe it to be green spot algae.

The reason I think this is because I tested the water this morning and everythiing is perfect, except pH it is a tad low at 7.8, the PO4 is 0 in this tank, as are nitrite and nitrate, and KH is at about 260.

So I can only conclude lighting is the culprite- if so then that is a good thing as this can be easily adjusted.

Oh and BTW, sorry for the crappy video, it's the best I can do with what I have. I need a better camera- one of these days.

LMK

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  6. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Second dose of Algaefix today. I'm doing 10ml, even though it's slightly under what the instructions call for. 125 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump and a 20 gallon fuge.

It's too early to see any real results, but the film on the glass seems to be nearly all white rather than green.

[​IMG]

7. Jonreefy

Jonreefy Astrea Snail

Will it kill macro algae?? Caulerpa leafy stuff

8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Refer to post #9 above. ^^^

10. steve wright

excellent barbianj - you picked a fine looking piece of rock as the focus of the study here

I also noted that the weekly glass cleaning was due to clearing almost transluscent micro algae of the front rather than the bright green I had before

Steve

11. alpha_03

We shall soon find out I have 3 types in my fuge now. I really hate expermenting in this way, but I know of no other way to do such.

12. steve wright

alpha 03 your results may benefit many others, but I totally understand your reservations

I did note on the www , that there have been reports that when you get above dose 10 , macro algae may start showing signs of color loss - chaeto and calerpa have been reported as showing these signs after 1 month of the 3 day dosing routine

thus if you get to dose 8 or 9 and have not fully dealt with algae issue by then
    its suggested to rest the tank for a couple of weeks before beginning again with the 1 mil per gallon dose rate, every 3 days

Steve