Algaefix Marine by API

Discussion in 'Algae' started by steve wright, May 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Thanks Alpha03
    The rock celebrated its 3rd birthday last September so it been in the tank 3.5 years now minus 3 weeks that it spent in large buckets during August last year, when tank was stripped in expectation of a need to move back to Blighty

Like you I am running similar materials in a cannister - I have Rowphos, Carbon and Purigen in mine at present

glass cleaning , thanks to the above media combined with carbon dosing I am currently wiping glass once per week only, was at 3 times a week prior to carbon dosing

natural sunlight - not an issue on that tank its side on to a window and the curtains stay drawn all day ( its on a back wall in large front room that has double glass doors to a balcony so room does not need artificial light in daytime, so nobody minds those curtains being closed all the time)

the tank when set up 3.5 years ago was cycled using dry rock, dry sand, no lights for 8 weeks and a YTB ( yep recent set ups have not used the live fish method, I am a 3 reef convert to decaying prawn these days)

this algae obviously arrived on a later introduction and then rapidly found its way onto majority of rock work

Steve

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Have you tried Emerald crabs for the remaining algae? IME they eat any algae.

4. steve wright

I would do, if I ever saw any to purchase 2 in 10

CUC its definitely the one aspect of the hobby here that seems to have been more or less, overlooked

Steve

5. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I'm going to give it a try as well, Steve. I did the first dose last night. I already have a fuge full of chaeto and vodka dose. No nitrates or phosphates. However, I have a lot of LPS and feed them and the fish heavily, so I'm sure there is something available for the algae too eek out a meager existence on. I don't have an algae problem by any means, but there are small patches that pop up that don't go away. There are hundreds of types of algaes, and I'm sure what I have growing in my tank is very resilient.

6. steve wright

good luck barbianj
    please get some images up of the worst offending areas and document the progress

from my research
    often it does not seem to be having much effect until about dose 5
    thereafter many people who have used it, experience a decaying of the algae
    so do not give up on it after a week or just a couple of doses with no visible means of any difference

Steve

7. barbianj

Sure, no problem, Steve. This area is right up front and gets a lot of flow. Some nice red bubble algae, and a little green and red. There is very little algae anywhere else. The sandbed is very clean. I'm in no hurry to see any results, but I'll let you know how it goes. ;)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

excellent start up shot barbianj

should be easy for us to follow the progress based on that image

Steve

10. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

well I guess I could try it too, wont hurt clams will it?

11. steve wright

Do not have any clams at present Alpha03
    but just did a bit of research for you and found that Cliff Babcock - Highland Reefer from the chemistry forum over at another site, dosed Algae fix marine at the instructed dose every 3 days for a couple of months = 10 or 12 doses at 3 day intervals ) and apparently his clams where fine
    there are a number of other positive reports, although not everyone lists their tank contents at time of dosing, so unless someone specifically mentions clams, as Ciff did, its hard to know

Steve

12. barbianj

According to the label, "will not harm snails, clams, scallops, shrimp, anemones, sea cucumbers, feather dusters, coralline algae, soft corals, hard corals and other invertebrates". fwiw