Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by DeepBlue1, Mar 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DeepBlue1

DeepBlue1 Plankton

Hello, I have a new 75 gallon tank and have a small amount of red slime; I ordered a phosphate reactor haven't gotten it yet. Have you guys had good luck with a phosphate reactor helping to control algae?
    Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I haven't used one, but I use a phosphate remover. I think it helps some. You need to look into making sure you are not overfeeding. If you are using tap water getting a ro/di unit will be a great help. Increasing your pH and flow are good helpers also.

4. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

I used a phosphate reactor for a while and got rid of it due to lack of space under my stand. I just now run Seachem's PhosGuard in a media bag and just place it in my sump in a high flow area. Seems to pretty much keep my phosphates in check.

5. wiigelec

wiigelec Fire Shrimp

6. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

phosban! i'll be getting some once I run out of the stuff im using now..

7. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

I use GFO from Bulk Reef Supply in a reactor and DEFINITELY noticed a BIG difference.

M

8. Click Here!

9. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

First: how old is your tank? the rock work, sand, and glass may accumulate algae at first (during the cycle period).

Second: i use the phos reactor from BRS and it does wonders controlling algae and will never stop using it.
    Keep in mind though that if this is an established tank and you have a big algae issue and or phos issue the reactor will be a great add, but while it will clean your tank of the phos and eliminate your algae you may want to look into what is causing the algae bloom and high phos in the first place (i.e. water usage, water changes, feeding, fish load, other filters in use, ect...).

10. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

ditto.

11. DeepBlue1

DeepBlue1 Plankton

BRS GFO Reactor?

Hello Everyone, I received my Bulk Reef Supply GFO reactor and got it hooked it up today. I have a question since I got it going it seems to have clouded my water or its messing with my skimmer(alot of micro bubbles getting from sump into display tank). The water was clear before the gfo and it's been about 4 hours and my water still looks cloudy. What do you guys think could be going on? I washed the gfo media several minutes to remove the brown dust and fines. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

12. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

Im guessing but give it 24 hours.. it will clear.. probly didnt rinse it good enough.