Algae?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by wavebeast, Sep 15, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

Why did you buy a UV for algae? I would have spent the money to upgrade the skimmer. How often do you clean that quick filter on that powerhead?

Would not hurt to increase your clean up crew, it really is not big enough for a tank of that size. I would add like 15-20 astrea snails.

2. Click Here!

3. wavebeast

wavebeast Astrea Snail

Why ??????????????????????????????
    I recently removed the quick filter from the powerhead , Ill have to take a new pic, I was under the impression that a uv filter would slow the algae down,( I guess I am wrong)
    The skimmer I have seems to be doing well (it,s rated for 100 gal I only have 40) My problem is space, I have no sump (verry little). With the tennecor simplicity plus there is a trickle filter built in the rear of the tank
    I will take your advice on a bigger clean up crew, I am going to pick up 10 astrea snails within the next day or so.

4. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

In my opinion UV is not benificial in a reef tank, yet just the opposite. The problem is a UV will only kill what runs thru it, and with that it will kill everything both good and bad. Any pods and critters that run thry it will be zapped as well. It can kill algae but only things like spores or free floating types of algae.

Pick up the Astreas (at least 10 -15), maybe 10 more blue legs and an emerald crab to start and see how that goes. I short spined urchin like a tuxedo(my favorite) they are good algae eaters and are cool looking too.

5. wavebeast

wavebeast Astrea Snail

6. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

Astreas really do a good job! they cleanup green algae fast. Same with hermits except a tank with an eel (like mine) would be hazardous for them as eels like eating crustaceans.

7. wavebeast

wavebeast Astrea Snail

picked up 10 turbos and 10 mini blueleg hermits, boy can those things eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!