Algae won't go Away

Discussion in 'Algae' started by SuperScro, Jun 26, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. the_h2o_guru

the_h2o_guru 3reef Sponsor

Running water through a DI first, then the RO last is useless. The RO process reduces the amount of work the DI has to do. What you want to do is buy a RO/DI unit then remove the filter you have now. You'll be substituting the RO?DI unit for the filter you have now.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I know this but the only thing that I'm not sure of is if his tap water purifier (aka di cartridge) can be added as a final stage to an existing r.o. unit.

4. SuperScro

SuperScro Flamingo Tongue

That could save me some cash if that is possible, but I also want it to be as effective as possible. Im going to have to get an RO/DI and get my sump/fuge built under my tank. Hopefully my algae problem will go away!

5. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

Er red alage?

HI,
    What size and type of skimmer are you using, I try and run mine pretty wet, dry skimming is ok but wet really get the stuff out of the water fast. it does requirie constant adjustments.
    Have you thought about a tang or angels many angels will constantly eat algae all day long.
    Something is making the algae grow if its nox you goign to have problems with corals. I also added a sump with dsb/reforguim all home made made the water seem clearer. and a good place for the heater and the skimmers.and it added some water to the column and it self adjust the water level in the tank.
    Doug

6. newton27

newton27 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

7. SuperScro

SuperScro Flamingo Tongue

It seems as if the brown algae that would grow in my tank is on the run. It used to be bad when I kept the lights on all day, except now it has dwindled. I can still see brown in the sand wehre the algae would grow most, but it hasn't expanded. Im working on the fuge, just need to find a decent overflow. The only algae problem I wanted to get rid of is my red bubble algae, and that will be the harders since I need to pry it off my rock : /

I use a bak pak 2r skimmer. I was also thinking my clump of grape macro algae started to kick in. Either that or whatever was feeding the algae is gone.

8. Click Here!

9. Corel

Corel Plankton

you should buy satwater... and then see what happens after that.

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Your problem is that your running your lights to long. You should run them only 8 hrs( if that ). You might also have a problem with nitrates and nitrites and ammonia. You must be over feeding your live stock. Dont over feed. Big mistake.

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I run my MH for 11 hours and my Actinics for 14 hours. I do not believe that lighting is the cause. Typically if you increase your photo period you could experience an algae bloom but it should subside

I agree there is an Nitrate problem that the Algae is using to fuel it's growth but were it's coming from is the big question

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I agree with Jason on the lighting.. I just run My M/H about 7 hrs But I run the VHO actanics from 7:00 AM to about 11:00 P.M Its not lights causng the issue..

And as for the considering a R/O ?? You can dance all around the issue and try this and try that But the bottom line is any aquarium is 99% water and you start out with bad water you just keep getting bad water problems.. Take it for what its worth but would you run you car with out a Gas line filter ? Until you clean the water up and run some good carbon and Phosphate polymer you are fighting loosing battle. And if you started to day it will still take you several months to totally get the problem under control all of those that organic dissolved minerals and metals are still in your tank and it has to be removed from the sand rocks silicone even. I fought phosphates for several months myself as I used some old rocks from a tank that had no R/O/D.I serving in yrs and they where filled with absorbed PO4's Like a sponge they all become.

if people would take the money they toss into L/Rocks and sand and get a good water filteration system up front then they would have a far easier tine of it.. Now what I have offered you is a lot of free advice based on yrs of making everymistake there is and learning from them.. And as I said its free and that may be all its its worth nothing. But you have done battle with Diatoms as all do now the green hairy algae monsters will rear up sooner or later..