Algae won't go Away

Discussion in 'Algae' started by SuperScro, Jun 26, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Would you happen to have a UV sterilizer?(with a new bulb?)

2. Click Here!

3. DrHank

DrHank Plankton

It sounds like either a source water problem (a RO/DI filter would eliminate that), ineffective protein skimming (not enough skimmate production), or excessive biological filtration problem (something pushing the ammonia cycle to produce nitrate).

I'd tear down any mechanical filters you may have and treat them to a chlorine bath, dechlorinate them, and then change the media.

4. the_h2o_guru

the_h2o_guru 3reef Sponsor

It just sounds like the filter you have is not cutting it. You may need to simply get a RO/DI unit. You need to remove those nitrates completely out of your water.

5. SuperScro

SuperScro Flamingo Tongue

My protein skimmer usually does well, the cup fills at least once a week (if thats good), sometimes more sometimes less. I have no other biological filtration other than my live rock, I removed my bio-pale and repalced it with carbon.

I have no UV sterlizlier, and I guess I will have to consider an RO/DI unit, just hope it will solve the problem.

I do have an odd sized sand bed. Im in no man's land with about 2-2.5 inches of it. Thinking this could be a problem also.

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

+2 on that!

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

How Long has the tank been up and running?

J

8. Click Here!

9. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

How is your photoperiod right now? How old are your bulbs? and most important what j asked, how long has it been setup?

10. SuperScro

I have 10ks on for 5 hours and actininc on for 5 hours after that. My bulbs are new, got the whole fixture brand new 2 months ago from liveaquaria.com
    I set the tank up the first week in december, and it completely cycled in mid-January. All my live rock was added during this time period.

11. SuperScro

I am going to consider and RO system, but I am still confused if I need just an RO or and RO/DI? If I have a DI can I combine it with the RO? Just a little lost.

Would this work? Aquarium Water Quality: Pure-Flo II RO Units

The 24gpd 3 stage or the 50gpd 4 stage?

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Most people use water than has been run through both a reverse osmosis and deionization unit. That water can then be used for top offs and/or mixed with salt to do water changes.

I'm not sure as to whether or not you can hook the DI that you've got up to an RO unit. Hopefully, somebody here will be able to answer that question.