Algae taking over tank

Discussion in 'Algae' started by rcflyer1388, Jan 7, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

My CUC could use an overhauling as well..

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes some Dino is toxic to some corals, inverts like snails and reports of fish dying after consuming it. I never saw any issue except with the zoanthids though.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  4. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

Just did the final siphoning prior to the lights out....going to leave them off till saturday. Now should i continue lights up my makeshift fuge? I was debating whether or not to get rid of the bio-pellets and go back to a fuge full time, but i haven't had issues with anything until now. And speaking of my Cuc, poor guys i just got them replenished from reefcleaners and they have been fading away by the numbers lately. Pretty much just confirmed it to be a case of Dino.

5. rcflyer1388

when i top off my ato container, i'll add some more kalk to the mix to bring it up some more. i changed out my LED fixture a short while ago to one of those 120w full spectrums, i doubt that caused this to flare up, idk. it's just things like this that are annoying to deal with and make you wanna give up. I'm strongly going to consider going back to the refugium setup with chaeto in there again after all this blows over.

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Back to fuge with Chaeto?

That's the nuts and bolts of my system!

7. rcflyer1388

i know, and your system looks great! ahh the newbie mistakes i've made since i start this hobby a year and half ago. Do you run GFO as well on your system Todd?

8. Click Here!

9. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

I might need to add an emerald too lol. Time for a blackout! Also, has anyone tried growing chaeto with these 120 fixtures? I don't have a sump so mine is in the display, but currently has Dino on it. Doesn't seem to be growing much though.

10. rcflyer1388

i'm sure chaeto will grow like nothing with those fixtures, SPS grows like crazy in my tank with the 120w fixture. I feel like i'm punishing the fish with the blackout and my emerald came out already in my tank lol

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

They can pretend they're in the South Pacific and a Typhoon is going through, because in real life it's not all sun shine and clear water. :p The fish will be fine, absence makes the heart grow fonder right. ;)

12. rcflyer1388

lol true, good point.