Algae taking over tank

Discussion in 'Algae' started by rcflyer1388, Jan 7, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Looks like Dino to me as well. You'll have to do a longer complete blackout of 4 days. No water changes during that time. Still take a turkey baster and blow it all off and then clean mechanical filtration after the water clears. When you end the black out limit the lighting periods, when you first see even a tiny strand starting turn the lights out.

It's now my belief that Dino needs ideal conditions to grow, it's like a perfect storm. Sometimes it peters out on it's own once whatever is feeding it is no longer available.
    I had it for over 3 months and nothing but nothing helped.

The above treatment method is what worked for me.

Good Luck

2. Click Here!

3. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

That's the same crap I'm dealing with, it's a pain! I'll have to read that article and flow this as well. I've been trying cyano clean from zeovit and weekly water changes, but there hasn't been a huge change. I'll try a blackout and them raising the ph, following the thread!

4. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

4 days of blackout? won't be any harm to fish and their feeding?

5. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

And what about corals? Mine are all ticked off from that crap as it is. Also, 8.4 is a good place to keep your ph, I wouldn't worry about 8.5.

6. Corailline

No not at all. You can still feed the fish. I wrapped my tank up in a folded black sheet. Corals and clam, fish all did fine. Dino killed off the Zoanthids prior to the treatment however. Always make sure the tank has good ventilation, do not cover pumps, top......
    There was no dino at the end of the 4th day, but it would try to creep back is the lights were on too long initially. I would shut the lights down, clean off the Dino and just kept repeating the process.

7. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

Might be a stupid question, does the blackout include moonlights?

8. Click Here!

9. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Mines a bit higher then yours. I only have Ph buffer here at my house and I don't think that raises Ph as much as it maintains the levels. I'm gonna give lowering my nutrients and light cycle a shot. I just switched out fixtures to a much more powerful set of lamps, so I'm thinking that may be part of the problem.

10. Corailline

I would include all lights.

If in couple weeks you're not seeing any results it's time to think about the carbons your adding to the tank in the way of bio-pellets and vodka. You can start there first if you want by backing off both. It's not unheard to have issues when using organic carbons.

11. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Corailline, this is prob what caused that big rock of Zoas of mine to die off... Took down my Kenya tree as well. My Xenias are covered in it each am as well. Grrrrrrrr. Looks like I'm going blackout mode stat!

12. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Just FYI, I had a brief outbreak of dynos a couple months back when I brought a frag in. There was a bit in the sump and a small bit the size of a some in the display. I turned off the light in the sump and got two emerald crabs. The emeralds cleaned the display tank in a day and the lights out in the sump took care of that piece. I noticed that after a week the lights on in the sump brought back the Dino in there. It doesn't come back any more now even with the lights on and no more has shown itself in the display. Even if it did, the emeralds are all over ANY algae they can find.