Algae taking over Finger Leather Coral

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Boywithafishtan, Apr 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

Hello everyone,

I have quite of an emergency right now, my finger leather is all closed down, and is covered with diatoms and green algaes on its fingers and base. I dont know how to get rid of it. I tried dipping it in some coral revive, to see if it would kill the algeas, but it hasnt helped. Please help me, i dont want to loose my favorite and most beautiful coral in my tank :(

2. Click Here!

3. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

Manual removal, take your hand and pull the algae off.

4. Boywithafishtan

Does that really work? I've heard that they HATE to get touched

5. Anya

Anya Bristle Worm

This is from the Reef Cleaners site:
    Reef Cleaners| Clean up Crews and Macroalgae

"Manual Removal - with a turkey baster or a toothbrush. Be prepared for them to re-establish themselves quickly, they are likely to be able to resettle and have amazingly fast growth rates.
    Clean Up Crew- Ceriths, Nerites and Chitons are effective at removing diatoms as well as the algae species that usually replace them as the silicates in your system are depleted."
    I found they suggestions to be very helpful. During my last bad algae outbreak I've added one Nerite and a few Cerith. Diatoms are decreasing though at a very slow pace. Mine is mostly on the sand and walls though.

6. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

Try not to touch the coral itself just the algae.

7. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

It's gotta be better to remove algae by hand than let it grow on corals. I mean if they can handle being cut into pieces for propagation. Then a tooth brush would just be a nice lil scrub down. It might be good to make sure polyps close up before scrubbing.

8. Click Here!

9. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

When I had cyano and other algae problems on my leathers I manually removed it. Turkey Baster and a soft bristle tooth brush. I never had any ill effects from using it. It might be uncomfortable for them but their happier in the end.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Moved to ----Soft Corals.

11. Boywithafishtan

Just for everyone to know, the coral fixed itself. I thought that it would be to stressful and damaging for the coral to take a toothbrush and brushing it off, also the coral doesnt like to be touched. Apparently, everytime algaes grow in it will begin to shed. It has now automatically gone off by itself, which i'm really happy for. Thanks for the help everybody. However, i'm a beginner and i've never seen it happen to my coral before, but apparently it went away by itself :)