Algae Scrubber Pics!!!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by seabass1, Feb 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hanginten

hanginten Astrea Snail

Right, it's not burnt from the heat, it's burnt from the amount of light. Think sunburn, maybe that's a better way to put it. After a while you should start getting red/green turf. I'll try to get pics of my screen this weekend.

2. Click Here!

3. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

Just finished the build of mine last night (took about 35 minutes for me) and going to install tonight on the hose to my fuge.

I'll post some pics hopefully later tonight here.

4. Seabas

Seabas Plankton

Ah thats very cool, wish I could do it for my 12 gal aquapod which is totally infested w GHA but I have other problems to deal with also, like calc and alk. Can't wait to afford a bigger tank and use that 12 as a refugium or quarantine tank. Yes it is short for sebastien lol.

5. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

Actually, you can make a scrubber for a nano tank too!

6. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

Tah Dah!

[​IMG]

What you see on there now is just some of my tank algae i rubbed on the mesh. I roughed it up with a diamond coated hole saw and a steak knife. I have good coverage across the mesh so far water wise. To cut the slot I made a straight line with a dremel cutting wheel down the length of the pipe, then switched to the router attachment to make it wider. I'm holding the mesh up with plastic shower curtain rings, and the mesh itself is that plastic mesh stuff that old ladies make yarn crafts out of.

7. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

You get today's MacGuyver award - for the shower curtain rings - i admittedly laughed at the "old ladies" comment. Does your grandmother know you said that?

:) nice job!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. seabass1

Yup, Docs got the award. The specs are 1 watt for square inch of screen....for double sided. For a one sided like my build, I'd have to double my wattage. This makes sense since Hangin' pointed out my sunburnt algae.
    For a two sided build, you should have light on both sides of the screen.

10. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

hey Seabass1, any updates?

11. seabass1

Hey Telgar! You might have missed my last update. Kinda crazy with this algae & pods swimming all around the ATS reservoir. I just wanted to be absolutely sure before I posted. Its been exactly 2 months as of yesterday that I started this ATS. 90% of the algae problem is gone & PO4 is 0 (zero)!!
    I was explaining to Steve that I never took a before param test, but along the way I was up around .10, then slightly lower, then down to about .03 & now practically ZERO! I'm using a Salifert kit so it tests by color match?
    Anyway, I clean the screen, which is still producing, on Sunday. I'll be posting before & after pics of the tank. Thanks!

12. jk7124

jk7124 Plankton

i am really interested in building on of these. what keeps the turf algae from spreading into the display tank? is it possible for it to do so?