Algae Scrubber Basics

Discussion in 'Turbo's Aquatics' started by Turbo's Aquatics, Aug 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. srusso

srusso Plankton

That build has a bottom drain.

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

So, What gives the 3D hair growth? Or would you get that even on a simple nonacrylic setup?

4. Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics 3reef Sponsor

There are 2 drains in my scrubber, originally they were both up about 1.5" off the bottom (male/female threaded fittings with o-rings on either side) but when I put on top of that tank I took one off, so it drains out the hole and then when the growth fills up the high drain starts.

The 3D growth is best achieved with a closed-bottom / drain design, but I would think you would be able to get some 3D growth just by putting a piece of acrylic on either side of the screen, and within say 3/4" of the screen or so, but you would have to hold the 2 pieces together at the bottom corners too. Once the algae grows thick enough to come in contact with the acrylic, it will trap water and little air pockets.

You can see it in this video, really well at about the 0:45-1:00 point

‪120 Reef Algae Scrubber Screen Growth 2011-07-21 1/3‬‏ - YouTube

5. srusso

srusso Plankton

I think people are a little crazy about 3D!

First it's movies, then your TV and now my algae scrubber. Let me guess I need another pair of glasses for this one too??!!! Lol

3D growth happens naturally really. My open scrubber has started producing 3D growth. With plenty more fixes and adjustments needed I think it's just getting started. I will post pictures when I can.

6. Turbo's Aquatics

Here's today's harvest - 3rd week in a row of stellar growth!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Turbo's Aquatics

double post

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. Leeroy Jenkins

Leeroy Jenkins Plankton

I've had this one running for about two months now. It's made from a 14 gallon rubbermaid container.

It's on a 180 gallon tank with an 18" x 11" screen with 4 CFL bulbs on each side. It's fed by a separate pump and then empties into the sump through a hole in the bottom.

Attached Files:

• 574.jpg
      574.jpg
      File size:
      385.1 KB
      Views:
    • 575.jpg
      575.jpg
      File size:
      392.2 KB
      Views:
  10. Turbo's Aquatics

Nice build, good example of what you can do for very little cost.

Looks like a single-sided scrubber. Have you been getting good growth?

11. Leeroy Jenkins

Leeroy Jenkins Plankton

There are lights on both sides, you just can't tell from the pic. I couldn't get a good picture under my stand.

I haven't weighed what I scrape off, but it appears decent. It's not 3D or anything. My N has stayed at 0 and P is also undetectable both on Salifert kits.

12. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

That makes sense, that's the way I understood it. An acrylic Algae turf scrubber is the next piece of equipment I'm investing in. I'm a big fan of natural (well non-chemical) forms of filtration/supplementation. The less chemicals and supplements I can use, the better IMHO.

The next piece of equipment I'm adding is a Santamonica 100 model turf scrubber. I love the fact that it's clean, all in one, and isolates the light from the unit.